Travel to MN

Status
Not open for further replies.

carlt

I am planning my scanner programming for a trip to MN in the future and would appreciate if someone can point me in the correct direction or tell me which ARMER zone each of the State Police offices are located. I have split into the six zones, but can combine them if it is practical and efficient. I use Uniden radios. Thanx!!

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
What model scanner are you using and what part of the state will you be traveling in?

The ARMER system is pretty complex. Unless you are "going all over", you can probably get by with programming just the area you need. Plus, depeding on which scanner you have, the ARMER system may exceed memory limits.

carlt

sfd119 - those maps are perfect - THANKS

ofd8001 - I have 15x, 996xt & 996P2 - I will likely be traveling on 90 & 35, so I will limit my programming to those areas.

Thanks!

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Here is a link to a page where you can download a map showing the ARMER sites. https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/ecn/programs/armer/Pages/current-status.aspx

Go to where it says ARMER Sites and a PDF will open showing a map.

Given the size of the system and the limits of your scanner, you are on the right track by breaking it down into zones.

Your 996 scanners should work fine, but I'm thinking the 15X doesn't do digital, which is what ARMER is.

Be sure you include Statewide interoperability talkgroups (anything with a TAC, such as S_TAC, L_TAC), as they are used quite a bit for bigger incidents.

carlt

Fortunately I have not set a date for the trip yet, so I have time to get a good setup.

Is it "safe" to only program control channels, to save space?

Thanks for the added map also!

stmills

FYI: MN has a law restricting possession/use of a scanner in a vehicle, if you have an amateur radio license and have it with you, you are ok, otherwise a permit from the state is required, and I am not sure if they issue them to out of state residents.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Is it "safe" to only program control channels, to save space?!

It's all owing to what you mean by "safe". I imagine there are enough users around Minnesota to keep the database reasonably accurate. However, programming all the site's frequencies is probably the only "absolutely safe".

Only getting to Minnesota a couple of times a year, I'll defer to those monitoring the sytem regularly.

stmills

In the MPLS area sites 2-001 and 2-002 used to switch off the main control channel about once a month, this seemed to end 2 system software upgrades ago. No other site seemed to switch with the regularity that the 2 Hennepin sites did. When I travel to other parts of the state I usually only have the main control channels entered and have been successful in most areas.

carlt

stmills - Thanks for the FYI. I guess I need to get my butt in gear and finally get my license. Also, thanks for the info about control channels. I know the trunked systems in my area are normally stable with their control channels. Just wanted to know if others are also.

ofd8001 - I won't be in the state for more than several days, so if I miss something, I will have no way of knowing. Just asking if the system changes control channels without notice, or if programming just them is sufficient. Sounds like they are all that is needed.

Thanks all for the information.

Status
Not open for further replies.