Traveling from New Brunswick Canada to NYC

Status
Not open for further replies.

cacherjoe

Hey folks,

We are traveling from New Brunswick to New York City. We've done the trip before, but this time I'd like to limit the frequencies I'm scanning on the way down and back. I'm wanting to scan the frequencies that will tell us if there is anything that will effect our travels along the way.

We are planning on taking the 95 series highways to the Worcester area, then 84 to 91 and back onto the 95 series into New Jersey where our hotel is.

I'm thinking State Police and DOT, but are there any other suggestions for those who may travel the route? I have some feedback on Maine. I'm wondering if anyone here has some thoughts on monitoring through to NYC. We are actually staying across the river in NJ.

Joe

Jimbo695

Traveling from New Brunswick

Keep in mind that using a scanner in the car is illegal in New York State. NY Vehicle and Traffic Law 397.

gaburbano

Premium Subscriber
Hams Dont Fret this...

If youre a ham operator, and arent doing anything illegal, you dont have much to worry about.
Now if you do something stupid, you may have a problem.
If your scanner is installed and youre not ham then thats another problem if you do something dumb in conjunction with the above.

George

cacherjoe

Thanks for the info guys. I am a licensed HAM and go out of my way to avoid accident scenes or anywhere that first responders are trying to do their jobs. Unless it can't be avoided I won't be another rubbernecker in the crowd.

That said, If I monitor the state police coming in on 95 should that cover what I'm trying to do?

innokuous1

Premium Subscriber
I can help with a very small portion of your trip. NYPD Traffic Division (aka Highway Patrol) uses 470.8125 MHz 123.0 Hz as a PL tone for your trip on I-95 through New York City Limits. The radio code 10-53 (or "53") is used for a motor vehicle accident.

If you are going from CT to NJ through NYC and you want to avoid an incident on I-95 in NYC, your detour options are poor. I always try to travel that route late at night/early in the morning.

(Don't forget NY/NJ Port Authority PD handles the George Washington Bridge portion of your trip)

Status
Not open for further replies.