SDS100/SDS200: Traveling on an airline with an SDS100 in your carry-on

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
It is important to distinguish between TSA and the FAA. The TSA is in charge of airline security but the FAA deals with rules concerning what equipment can be operated on board the aircraft. Since the 1950's the FAA says FM receivers are banned on aircraft in flight. The rule still stands and has nothing to do with the TSA. Bottom line: By all means bring your scanner or ham radio just don't operate it. Don't argue with the crew. Yes, I know that modern synthesized radios are different from older receivers but the rule still stands.

If you fly a lot with radios get TSA pre-check or a Global Entry card. Saves time and trouble with the TSA. I have cleared security in 60 seconds at major airports. No taking off your shoes or belt! Some credit cards will reimburse the fee.

garys

Premium Subscriber
Global Entry is great, even if you only travel domestically.

It is important to distinguish between TSA and the FAA. The TSA is in charge of airline security but the FAA deals with rules concerning what equipment can be operated on board the aircraft. Since the 1950's the FAA says FM receivers are banned on aircraft in flight. The rule still stands and has nothing to do with the TSA. Bottom line: By all means bring your scanner or ham radio just don't operate it. Don't argue with the crew. Yes, I know that modern synthesized radios are different from older receivers but the rule still stands.

If you fly a lot with radios get TSA pre-check or a Global Entry card. Saves time and trouble with the TSA. I have cleared security in 60 seconds at major airports. No taking off your shoes or belt! Some credit cards will reimburse the fee.

PD47JD

Premium Subscriber
Although once on Delta flight I was reviewing stored frequencies on of the several radios with me, when suddenly a flight attendant's eyes literally bugged out and said "Give that to me, NOW! ..I'm bringing this to the Captain"
Needless to say, the radio was returned within five or so minutes with a curt apology from the attendant.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
Although once on Delta flight I was reviewing stored frequencies on of the several radios with me, when suddenly a flight attendant's eyes literally bugged out and said "Give that to me, NOW! ..I'm bringing this to the Captain"
Needless to say, the radio was returned within five or so minute with a curt apology from the attendant.
I witnessed an incident where a child wanted to use his iPad. We were still at the gate. The fight attendant asked him to turn it off and stow it. His parents started to argue. The flight attendant said, "You can stow it right now, you can give it to me for the duration of the flight, or I'll have the airport police board the plane and remove all of you," Because it was a short commuter flight, it did not go above 10K feet. Flight time was less than 30 minutes. The iPad was turned off and stowed. Failure to follow a crew members' order is a federal offense.

By the way, the captain could give give permission to operate a radio in flight. Not likely on a commercial flight. Don't even ask. I have done it on a private flight after some testing to see if it affected any instruments. It didn't. I also did't make any contacts. Planes are pretty much Faraday cages anyway.

Capella

Premium Subscriber
Needless to say, the radio was returned within five or so minutes with a curt apology from the attendant.
I was on a Delta flight a couple months ago with my SDS100 and the User's Manual. I asked the flight attendant if she could give the User's Manual to the Captain to determine if I could operate the SDS100 during flight. The Captain responded within 10 minutes that clearly it was a receiver and if it had an "airplane mode" somewhere in the menu selection then he could approve it for use on his flight.

Is "airplane mode" something that could be raised with Uniden for future scanners? I haven't researched what specifically "airplane mode" disables but I'm willing to disable it if it means I could use the receiver on flights :)

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
Here's what the FAA says:

§ 91.21 Portable electronic devices.
(a) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section, no person may operate, nor may any operator or pilot in command of an aircraft allow the operation of, any portable electronic device on any of the following U.S.-registered civil aircraft.

That includes radios, cell phones etc. Computers are ok above 10,000 feet. Other device like voice recorders are ok. Some medical devices too. Scanner and ham radios NOT.

All scanners have an airplane mode. It's called an on/off switch. Put it in the off position. You won't hear much because the airplane is basically a Faraday cage.

Why does this keep coming up. There are people who believe that regulations don't apply to them.

Remember you are on the plane too. Even though it's unlikely that your radio will cause a problem, you are going down too if it does.

belvdr

No longer interested in living
That includes radios, cell phones etc. Computers are ok above 10,000 feet.
Those exclusions are up to the carrier and/or the PIC. Cell phones have been allowed for quite some time, albeit in airplane mode. I wonder if they would allow a handheld COM radio. ;)

KR3LC

Premium Subscriber
I have traveled by air with one or two radios for the past 40 years. One being a scanner and one being an amateur HT. Never had any issues. Just don't use them or even bring them out of your bags while onboard.

The only place I had a problem was not related to air travel but rather visiting Ellis Island. I was carrying an amateur HT around NYC but at Ellis Island they made me jump through hoops with supervisors and security people. Eventually they allowed me to carry it over but warned me not to use it. They stated concern for terrorist use of communication devices but I chose not to say anything about all the cellphones they do allow that would suffice to support bad intentions; that two-way radios were not needed for bad things to happen.

palmerjrusa

Virtually the same thing happened to me with an Optoelectronics frequency scout, albeit with security check in. They had to show it to the captain for approval to be taken on the flight.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
Those exclusions are up to the carrier and/or the PIC. Cell phones have been allowed for quite some time, albeit in airplane mode. I wonder if they would allow a handheld COM radio. ;)
Apparently the words in the regs "nor may any operator or pilot in command of an aircraft allow the operation of, any portable electronic device on any of the following U.S.-registered civil aircraft." mean something different to some readers. Hence, this interminable thread.

belvdr

No longer interested in living
Apparently the words in the regs "nor may any operator or pilot in command of an aircraft allow the operation of, any portable electronic device on any of the following U.S.-registered civil aircraft." mean something different to some readers. Hence, this interminable thread.
It is important to read the entire thing, though, as it provides specific exemptions, and the potential for one-off exemptions (laptops and phones with airplane mode enabled):

eCFR FAR 91.21
§ 91.21 Portable electronic devices.

(a) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section, no person may operate, nor may any operator or pilot in command of an aircraft allow the operation of, any portable electronic device on any of the following U.S.-registered civil aircraft:

(1) Aircraft operated by a holder of an air carrier operating certificate or an operating certificate; or
(2) Any other aircraft while it is operated under IFR.

(b) Paragraph (a) of this section does not apply to -

(1) Portable voice recorders;
(2) Hearing aids;
(3) Heart pacemakers;
(4) Electric shavers; or
(5) Any other portable electronic device that the operator of the aircraft has determined will not cause interference with the navigation or communication system of the aircraft on which it is to be used.

(c) In the case of an aircraft operated by a holder of an air carrier operating certificate or an operating certificate, the determination required by paragraph (b)(5) of this section shall be made by that operator of the aircraft on which the particular device is to be used. In the case of other aircraft, the determination may be made by the pilot in command or other operator of the aircraft.
I had no idea electric shavers were excluded from the FAR. I don't think I've ever seen someone shave on a flight, but I'm sure it happens.

In any case, I highly doubt any member of a commercial flight's crew would authorize anything specifically that is in not in their corporate policy. Even a local charter company here doesn't allow anything additional over the commercial flights. In the case of a potential issue, no single person wants to be responsible for it. I've used all sorts of electronic devices in various Cessnas and Pipers and never had an issue. They are also nowhere near as complex as commercial aircraft.