Traveling through, help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

steveh552

I will be traveling through your state in the coming months and am intrested in setting up a fav list in my HP1 for the travels. I will be traveling I70 from OH to IL. I am looking for just law enforcement (mostly highway patrols/state police) and fire/ems/med helos. I am not wanting to hear a bunch of junk which is why I am wanting a fav list instead of using the nationwide database. I do have a GPS puck as well so I wont have to have any interaction with the scanner while driving. Any help, especially if anyone has a fav list would be great. I am asking before I spend hours trying to make a list on my own

del1964

Premium Subscriber
Another option is to just select service types "Law talk" type channels and Fire / EMS dispatch channels. All other "junk" will be skipped. In Indiana, this will work very well for you. I live in Indiana and have an HP and BCD 396xt. I totally trust the HP now having had both in my automobile and monitoring both. I have learned to prefer the HP now and I think that says a lot. Enjoy !!!

steveh552

I do not know about there but here lots of private ambulance companies are on the EMS Dispatch and you hear lots of stuff that is not important (travel was 9 miles, 20 minutes in ER now back in service, for example)

W9NES

Steve, Go to the internet and send a copy of Indiana Code 35-44-3-12 to your printer.Carry a copy of that section of the law with you and have it will you in your glove box if you need it.

canav844

I don't carry a coy, I figure any officer that knows it's illegal is going to at least need to look up the code to charge me, and roadside lawyer isn't going to win any bonus points in the process. You'll need you ham license on you if you're going to make any contacts anyhow.

I'd plug in ISP Dispatch for Districts 51 52 and 53; that will honestly cover 99% of the highway stuff, but if you want more activity, map out the counties and add in the Sheriff Departments for each county and that will fill most of it. You may also want to have Indianapolis Metro PD in the scanner.

I haven't heard as much on simplex on the IN highways as I have traveling elsewhere, but if you put some of the repeaters in and throw your call out, most of the time you'll get a response.

Anon6083

Premium Subscriber
I don't carry a coy, I figure any officer that knows it's illegal is going to at least need to look up the code to charge me, and roadside lawyer isn't going to win any bonus points in the process. You'll need you ham license on you if you're going to make any contacts anyhow.

It's always a bit of a gamble; Having the IC # on hand is helpful, but don't try to interpret it for them if it comes down to a traffic stop. They probably won't mind not having to search for the IC # itself. It can look really good for an out-of-stater to have shown that he/she has researched the law here before crossing into Indiana, though.

W9NES

It is a great idea to have WITH YOU a copy of IC 35-44-3-12.You have New Troopers and Officers coming out of ILEA that do not know about the current code.We have had ham radio operators that have had a 2 meter radio taken away from them becuase the 2 meter units will receive above 144Mhz.To keep you from going to jail and that you meet the IC 35-44-3-12 law and that you are "Exempt" from the law.

usswood

It is a great idea to have WITH YOU a copy of IC 35-44-3-12.You have New Troopers and Officers coming out of ILEA that do not know about the current code.We have had ham radio operators that have had a 2 meter radio taken away from them becuase the 2 meter units will receive above 144Mhz.To keep you from going to jail and that you meet the IC 35-44-3-12 law and that you are "Exempt" from the law.

well LEOs are suppose to be smart right! Sounds like a law suit for FALSE ARREST! I don't carry anything but my license because that is all the LAW requires! I don't care about anyone who just graduated and doesn't understand his JOB!

W9NES

You should carry a copy of Indiana Code 35-44-3-12 with you in your car, turck, anywhere you operate a mobile. If you are operating a ham ht you should carry a copy with you in your wallet. New Police Officers are not aware of this law.Carrying this with you could keep you on the legal side of the law and keep you from going to jail.Also included in this would be having your car or truck towed to a police impound lot and having a officer take the radio out of your car or truck.We did have a ham in 2010 that had a problem with Indianapolis Metro Police. He was arrested, car was towed and his radio was taken out of his car without his consent.The officer said that the ham had quote:" a police radio in his car becuase the officer heard 162.550 Indianapolis NWS along with 2 meter repeater freqencies in the radio" The Marion County Court threw the case out and told the ham that the court was sorry for the problem. The judge who heard the case asked for the arresting officer to write a letter to the ham on the subject of "Why should I keep my job as a Police Officer" The local ham got the letter from the officer on the case.The local ham sent a letter back to the Judge on how the officer treatred him and 3 months later after the case the officer was terminated/fired from his job becuase of the way he treated the local ham.To avoid this from occuring to you it would be a great idea to carry a copy of the law with you.Just my two cents worth.

usswood

You should carry a copy of Indiana Code 35-44-3-12 with you in your car, turck, anywhere you operate a mobile. If you are operating a ham ht you should carry a copy with you in your wallet. New Police Officers are not aware of this law.Carrying this with you could keep you on the legal side of the law and keep you from going to jail.Also included in this would be having your car or truck towed to a police impound lot and having a officer take the radio out of your car or truck.We did have a ham in 2010 that had a problem with Indianapolis Metro Police. He was arrested, car was towed and his radio was taken out of his car without his consent.The officer said that the ham had quote:" a police radio in his car becuase the officer heard 162.550 Indianapolis NWS along with 2 meter repeater freqencies in the radio" The Marion County Court threw the case out and told the ham that the court was sorry for the problem. The judge who heard the case asked for the arresting officer to write a letter to the ham on the subject of "Why should I keep my job as a Police Officer" The local ham got the letter from the officer on the case.The local ham sent a letter back to the Judge on how the officer treatred him and 3 months later after the case the officer was terminated/fired from his job becuase of the way he treated the local ham.To avoid this from occuring to you it would be a great idea to carry a copy of the law with you.Just my two cents worth.

NO...thats where you are wrong and your later statement proves it! The Law doesn't require me to carry anything but my license with me! If I go to Jail behind someone in LAW ENFORCEMENT not understanding the Laws they are suppose to uphold then that LEO should error on the side of caution until he is SURE that his arrest is valid! Ignorance of the LAW is no DEFENSE for Joe PUBLIC or LAW ENFORCEMENT!

canav844

You should carry a copy of Indiana Code 35-44-3-12 with you in your car, turck, anywhere you operate a mobile. If you are operating a ham ht you should carry a copy with you in your wallet. New Police Officers are not aware of this law.Carrying this with you could keep you on the legal side of the law and keep you from going to jail.
So if the officers are unaware that scanners are illegal, how is carrying a copy of the law that outlaws them, that I'm producing for him to go and verify going to help me not get arrested? If he doesn't know about the law then he doesn't know it's illegal.

Even if the intentions are good, is saying I'm smarter than you going to help things? The example you give, without links callsigns or names, describes the actions of an officer that arrested someone, without any cause to show it was a police radio (by your account), if someone is that set on arresting you, even when it can and did mean his job, is a piece of paper in my glove box really going to stop him? Mind you he has a whole book full of the criminal code in his car. Or is going to take a judge dismissing the criminal case? Know your rights, keep your mouth shut, don't escalate things in the field, win the case in court, and when there is wrongful arrest and/or selective prosecution, file a lawsuit. Then again, I don't blare my radios loud enough for people outside my vehicle to hear them( which seemed to be the case in your example and the cell phone app case in Muncie), and I use ipod style headphones in crowded areas, so I look just like everyone that's neck deep into their phone. I know the law, and don't make a big deal about it, if confronted I'd be seeking to de-escalate the situation, and I don't see how my having a copy of the law is going to assist in that at all. Now calling up and talking with the higher ups in the department after the fact, about proper education, sure I see that helping. Taking things to court and winning, I see that helping in the long term. Playing lawyer in the field, I see making things worse.

steveh552

This debate is not helpful to the main questions I posed. I will say that arguing a court case along side the road never is won in your favor, as the saying goes "You may beat the rap, you wont beat the ride". I apperciate everyones feedback, I will carry a copy of this code but only mention it if stopped and asked about the radio equipment and just say, in a kind voice that I had researched and let him know I am happy to show him what i found in hopes that would win mercy upon the officer. In reality using common since will be key and not getting pulled over is my first step to that.

pjscott51

Premium Subscriber
I'll be traveling through different parts of Indiana this Spring and Summer. Is there a way to program a Pro-106 will all ISP Posts? I'm using the ARC500 software.

Thanks,

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.