traveling to Boston

Status
Not open for further replies.

money911

hello all,
I am traveling to the boston harbor area for a little vacation, i was wondering if anyone could suggest to me some good listening freqs?

anything helps,

Thanks james

ecps92

What are you interested in ?

Fire, Police, EMS, Maritime, Business.

What City will you be in , will also make a difference.

When will you be up here.

money911 said:
hello all,
I am traveling to the boston harbor area for a little vacation, i was wondering if anyone could suggest to me some good listening freqs?

anything helps,

Thanks james

money911

hello, thanks for the replies, i will be there tomorrow through friday. I am mainly interested in police and fire but what ever else is active. I will be in boston, right on the harbor.

thanks again

james

garys

Premium Subscriber
What type of scanner and do you have software for it?

gary

PeterGV

K1PGV
As previously mentioned, start here:

http://www.scancapecod.us/wiki/index.php/Eastern_MA_Portal

Don't let the fact that the site's named "Scan Cape Cod" -- it's got some of the best, most up to date, info on Boston (and all of MA) anywhere. And it's well maintained.

In Boston, you'll enjoy listening to the Boston Police. See the BPD page linked to from the page above. You'll want to program their Channels 01 through 07 and 12 into your scanner (all conventional, no P25, no trunking for BPD).

For Boston Fire, see the page linked from above. If you just want to hear dispatch operations, channel 1 is all you'll need. For completeness, add a fireground or two.

This extremely useful site has lots of good info:
http://home.comcast.net/~garys2/scanguide/boston.htm

If you care about EMS dispatch stuff, check out:
http://www.bppa.org/bppaems/BOSTEMS.htm

After that, things tend to get a bit less interesting: The BAPERN channels can sometimes be amusing... they're also linked from the ScanCapeCod page I provided above.

If you're up for programming a large, complex, multi-site, trunked system program the Mass State Police Zone 5:
http://users.adelphia.net/~kc1ho/ematrunk/msp/msp.html

Beware there are a ton of talkgroups, and you'll need to sit through tons of boring license checks and general highway related stuff before you hear a good chase or drug operation.

Enjoy your trip!

de Peter K1PGV

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Last edited:

raisindot

money911 said:
hello all,

anything helps,

Thanks james

I've created an Excel file to use for cutting and pasting frequencies into Win500, but it can be used for just about any software. It has both conventional and trunking frequencies public safety frequencies for the greater Boston area. If you want it, let me know and I'll email it to you.

Suzue

raisindot

money911 said:
yeah im running a psr500 with win500. i will take anything you have, thanks again

When are you coming in to Boston? Tonight I can email you my Win500 file with the 130 Boston-area conventional and trunking objects I've programmed for it, if it's not too big to send via the PM system here.

Suzie

ecps92

Boston Fire
483.1625 Disp 1
483.1875 F/G 2
483.2125 F/G 3
483.2375 F/G 4

Fire Mutual Aid

Boston EMS
462.9750 Tac-10 Primary
462.9500 Tac-9 Talk-around

As for Boston PD, keep it to Area A and C if your on the Waterfront
otherwise you will be over-whelmed with the traffic.

As others have said the resources our out there, just hate to over-whelm you with traffic

money911 said:
hello, thanks for the replies, i will be there tomorrow through friday. I am mainly interested in police and fire but what ever else is active. I will be in boston, right on the harbor.

thanks again

james

money911

hey everyone, checked into the hotel this morning, im right on the harbor, its beautiful up here i must say. Right now i have pretty much all police, fire, and ems programmed in. How busy is boston fire? thanks for the tips

fog

Premium Subscriber
Do you have Boston PD programmed up? They're a fun listen. They have several detective channels, which are often interesting to listen to, as they seem to pass through a repeater, and are typically unencrypted. They've got 16 channels in most layouts, I'd get 'em all but "Nova Base" (Channel 8), which is just license lookups and the like. I typically hear the detectives on 13 and 10. Officers will often go up to Channel 7 to talk, so it might be interesting to get that one, too.

The Bay's a great place to be, enjoy your stay! :)

SUPZ

I'm curious about frequencies of Boston University Police. Might be fun to listen in on these guys (my girlfriend goes to school there)

Status
Not open for further replies.