Traveling to La Junta, need advice re: DTR sites

Status
Not open for further replies.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
Hi there peeps,

Soon I'll be visiting La Junta for some training, and I need some help. Specifically, I'm looking for the best (i.e. most active) Mountain/High Elevation sites in surrounding counties reasonably likely to be heard from La Junta/Otero County. I've never visited Otero County before, so any tips from those familiar with the area would be appreciated...

-Nate

I'm not sure if any mountain sites from west of Pueblo would hit into La Junta. My guess is not. I was farther northeast when I used to scan out there.

Kiowa, Bent and Cheyenne (sometimes) SO are encrypted. Prowers is in the clear. IIRC Lincoln is in the clear as well.

I'm guessing you could probably hear Crowley but I have no knowledge of their setup.

I never had much more than the factory antenna on my scanner so my range wasn't anything great. Maybe you will have better luck.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
Update: Well I've arrived in La Junta, where I'll be staying for several weeks. So far, I'm only getting Otero & Crowley county DTR sites. They are pretty darn quiet, it appears they don't carry much traffic outside of those 2 counties. I'm also trying to find available vhf & uhf Ham Repeaters, apparently La Junta has one on 146.70, plus a couple closed machines (not sure if they're even active).

Status
Not open for further replies.