Traveling to the UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

kg4pbd

I'm going to be traveling to London, then going to Paris and returning to the US from Paris. From what I've read it's legal to have a scanner in England, just illegal to use it to listen to police. France appears to have a much tougher law making it illegal to have a scanner.

Does anyone know if this is true? I had planned on taking a portable scanner with me to use in London. Since I don't speak French I wouldn't be using it in France anyway. My concern is customs and if I would have a problem simply by having it with me.

Any help is appreciated.

morfis

In the UK it is legal to own/carry a scanner but illegal to tune to a frequency for which you are not licensed. As long as you don't wave the thing in front of a copper or have it blaring out his own transmissions who would know what you were listening to ;-)

France is far more draconian but seem to be just as unlikely to do anything unless flaunted. I have been stopped in France but after explaining that I was a radio amateur and using it to search for amateurs (not what I was doing) and showing them my licence they quickly left me alone.

Not had problems with customs except in Poland, Greece and USA and with all three the amateur story/licence worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.