Traveling with my PSR 500

Status
Not open for further replies.

baayers

I normally prefer to travel by train or sometimes bus but while checking out flights I found a flight from Tampa to San Francisco for only $89.00 and could not pass it up. When I travel I normally take my scanner along for the trip. I have had no problems with taking it on board the trains and buses in my back pack how ever I am not sure if that would be a problem with Flying. I was wondering if anyone here travels with their scanner when flying and if they have had any problems. I know I would not be allowed to use it while flying and that to me is understandable however I would still like to take it on board in my carry on rather than to put it in my suit case and run the risk of my suit case getting lost with my $500.00 scanner in it. Thanks to all who help.

Benjamin

LEH

Premium Subscriber
There is no problem traveling by air with a scanner. I would make sure that the laws in the local area where you are going will allow you to carry one though. Some states (like IN, MI and KY) do not allow portable scanning. FL is dicey, one interpretation is don't attach the scanner to a charger or outside antenna. I've carried mine there several times and never been bothered, but if you are, it could be an issue. For your trip, I'd ask about it on the FL board.

I travel with at least two whenever I go. I have one with some airport operations (common 460.6 range) and another set to search. Radio Shack sells a Y adapter that allows two mono 1/8 inch plugs to go to a single stereo. I plug in a set of stereo earbuds and listen contently while sitting through the delays.

In over twenty years of traveling with my scanners, I've only had one case where an airport security person deemed them contraband and tried to confiscate them. This was shortly after 9/11 with the new "TSA". The matter was quickly straightened out once his supervisor was called over.

emscapt9816

Retired, but somehow working harder now...
Premium Subscriber
Traveling...

I flew with my family to Florida last year with my PRO-96 in my carry-on bag. No questions, no fuss.

mikey60

There is no problem traveling by air with a scanner. I would make sure that the laws in the local area where you are going will allow you to carry one though. Some states (like IN, MI and KY) do not allow portable scanning.

Michigan no longer has any restrictions on scanners, with the exception of anyone convicted of a felony in the last 5 years. The law in Michigan changed on May 31, 2006.

Mike

mikey60

Thanks so much for all of your help. Its a bit of relief to know I don't have to risk it getting lost.

Sorry I kind of hijacked the thread there with the Michigan reference, but yes, I've traveled many times with my scanner (actually in some cases two or three) with no issues. Run then through the X-Ray machines, and you should be fine.

Mike

baayers

No problem at all. I am legally blind and for the most part no one has ever questioned me traveling with it and I have traveled through 34 states in the last 8 years with no problem, however this will be the first trip by air in about 10 years so the information you all have given is greatly appreciated. The other electronics I travel with is a Kaito KA1101 SW, Digital Camera, MP3 Player, iGO AA powered batttery charger to charge my cell phone and MP3 player when I am unable to reach a power outlet. Do I need to do the same with these as I would the scanner?

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
You Should have No Worries With the Scanner, but while in flight You will be restricted from using anything like a cell phone, scanner, or other radio device as such I believe that is an FAA rule, i would pack them on the carry on (Do not check them, assume they will be lost or stolen if you do) MP3 player should be ok though as well as the camera, there will be no places to charge the stuff on the plane i do not think.

Did i get that correct everyone else.

Check with your Airline as well, there are alot of new rules since 9/11

Last edited:

baayers

Very cool thank you all so much. I am verry aware that I can't use them while in flight but now that I know I shouldn't have any trouble with them being in my carry on luggage it gives a bit more peace of mind that I did the right thing by going ahead and grabbing the ticket. $89.00 from coast to coast this day and time is amazing.

raisindot

Not always travel-hassle free

Hate to contradict everybody, but I travel on business fairly frequently and always pack my PSR500 into my carry-on. I've never had it confiscated, but in two out of the last six flights the X-ray guys saw it in there and opened up the carry on and took a very close look at it before putting it back. No questions were asked, but it may trigger a carry on search.

Suzie

TOUGHLIFE

I usually travel by air and have four to five handhelds in a carryon camera type bag which also contains a lot of extra batteries, programming cables and other accessories. I do keep a copy of my FCC amateur radio license on the top, just inside. Should it be opened this is the first item a TSA person will see. Only once out of about ten trips was I asked what the radios were and I simply say, "my ham radio equipment". I also program my radios so if a security person takes one out and turns it on the TSA or local police will not be heard. I simply program in the National Weather Service in whatever channel the radio is locked onto when turned on at first. I also keep a copy of QST magazine in the outside pocket of the case so it clearly shows and wear a Yaesu amateur radio ballcap. I have had my notebook computer looked at more often and in more detail than my radios at security checkpoints.

When listening to my scanner inside an airport I leave it inside the camera bag and used cheap stereo headphones. Most people will simply think that I am listening to a CD player and not a scanner.

Enjoy your trip. If you don't have an amateur license you might look into getting one. Many states with anti-scanner laws state that a person with an amateur radio license is exempt from the law. Florida is a good example of this.

LEH

Premium Subscriber
Hate to contradict everybody, but I travel on business fairly frequently and always pack my PSR500 into my carry-on. I've never had it confiscated, but in two out of the last six flights the X-ray guys saw it in there and opened up the carry on and took a very close look at it before putting it back. No questions were asked, but it may trigger a carry on search.

Suzie

Suzie,

I don't think you were contradicting anyone. We've all said (except my one incident) that traveling with the scanner in carry on is not a problem. You cannot listen to it in flight, nor can we yap on our cell phones.

As to the number of times I've had the bag go through "further" inspection, well I don't even count those. That is just part of me going through a TSA security check (read every time I fly). :D

So yes, a further inspection may be made, but 99.9% of the time nothing is going to be said. TSA is not there to enforce local laws (at least as far as I know they aren't). Don't carry and Federally mandated banned stuff and you should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.