Travelling through

Status
Not open for further replies.

bwilborn

Greetings,

I'll be travelling through Kansas and need some advice about the KSICS system. I'm going to be travelling east on I-70 from Colorado, then down I-135 and subsequently I-35 through Wichita en route to Texas.

My problem stems from trying to figure out what towers I should program into my radio for this system. I've pretty much got a handle on all of the smaller local systems and the Moto II in Wichita, but this one's got me a bit vexed. If anyone could give me a hand with this, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

-- B

Last edited:

rick521

No KSICS on your route

Greetings,

I'll be traveling through Kansas and need some advice about the KSICS system. I'm going to be travelling east on I-70 from Colorado, then down I-135 and subsequently I-35 through Wichita en route to Texas.

My problem stems from trying to figure out what towers I should program into my radio for this system. I've pretty much got a handle on all of the smaller local systems and the Moto II in Wichita, but this one's got me a bit vexed. If anyone could give me a hand with this, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

-- B

As of today, Western and Central Kansas has not converted to KSICS. Have a nice trip and be safe.

bwilborn

OK, So if I use the 800 MHz repeaters listed here (http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?aid=587) I should be good to go?

This will be my first trip through Kansas, so I'm looking forward to it. My dad is originally from Erie, KS so it will be interesting to see the area that he grew up in (even if I'm not going near Erie at all). Hopefully we'll have some nice weather for the trip.

-- B

jgarner

Some KSICS on your route

This post has a file with the tower sites in Google Earth format. All should be active now with the exception of the Hutchinson and Partridge sites. (They may be but I havn't been there to check.) All of the sites should have at least a 30 mile range and up, especially where it's flat. (Depending on location I've heard them as far as 70-75 mles away.) This should let you listen all the way from west of Salina to into Oklahoma.

http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90146

bwilborn

:eek:

hey, cool! i live a few miles south of Erie, in Parsons. :cool:

Heh. He only lived there until he was six or seven, when they moved to the San Francisco bay area. That was back in the '50s. I'm sure it's changed a bit in the last 55 years or so. ;)

-- B

Duster

Supposedly Retired...
Database Admin
OK, So if I use the 800 MHz repeaters listed here (http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?aid=587) I should be good to go?

Hey, B. I'm from western Kansas, and was back there earlier this year. Start with the conventional 800 channels on the chart, and work east by county. Sherman County, then Thomas, Logan, Gove, etc... right down your route of travel. KHP uses each tower as a standalone repeater direct to dispatch. However, they are seldom (if ever) patched together, so you will only hear the traffic for the local area. If you can hear the trooper talking, you are on his local tower. Very occasionally, they may simulcast the dispatch traffic, but not often.

Hope this helps,

David

bwilborn

Start with the conventional 800 channels on the chart, and work east by county. Sherman County, then Thomas, Logan, Gove, etc... right down your route of travel. KHP uses each tower as a standalone repeater direct to dispatch. However, they are seldom (if ever) patched together, so you will only hear the traffic for the local area. If you can hear the trooper talking, you are on his local tower. Very occasionally, they may simulcast the dispatch traffic, but not often.

Thanks, that was my original intent. It'll be interesting to listen to stuff outside of the Denver Metro area that I usually monitor.

Thanks everyone for all the assistance!

-- B

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.