• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Trbo CPS16 25khz Issues

Rlahey

I’ve done a hefty web search but cannot find a definitive answer

I’ve run CPS16 for many years but two years ago I upgraded laptops. I bought a 25khz key from Motorola but it would not take it (I thought it was a key issue so I bought five…) If I recall they took that server offline that worked with 16, as they want everyone over on 2.0. So then I went the hex edit route. I continue to get error 1646 when opening the program. The layout of CPS 2.0 is worthless. I don’t wont to scroll over five pages to see what is programmed in one channel. Are there any other tricks for 16?

If I program with 2.0, that radio can only use 2.0 for the rest of eternity, is that correct?

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
I’ve done exactly that. I still get the 1646 error, even when I run as an administrator
Quick google search.

1646​

This is often caused by a lack of permissions to create the below folders. The fix in this case, is to install and run the CPS as an Administrator.

There could also be an issue with Windows (specifically the WMI Service). Make sure Windows is updated (all patches are applied and no restart is needed). Makre sure you have your codeplugs (if any) saved somewhere else, uninstall the CPS then reboot. Once rebooted go through and delete the following:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Motorola\MOTOTRBO CPS
C:\ProgramData\Motorola\MOTOTRBO CPS
C:\Users\cwh050\AppData\Roaming\Motorola\mototrbocps.tbl

Use a registry cleaner to delete any unused entries then reinstall the (latest) CPS. If this doesnt do the trick, see my support page to get help.

Rlahey

Quick google search.

1646​

This is often caused by a lack of permissions to create the below folders. The fix in this case, is to install and run the CPS as an Administrator.

There could also be an issue with Windows (specifically the WMI Service). Make sure Windows is updated (all patches are applied and no restart is needed). Makre sure you have your codeplugs (if any) saved somewhere else, uninstall the CPS then reboot. Once rebooted go through and delete the following:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Motorola\MOTOTRBO CPS
C:\ProgramData\Motorola\MOTOTRBO CPS
C:\Users\cwh050\AppData\Roaming\Motorola\mototrbocps.tbl

Use a registry cleaner to delete any unused entries then reinstall the (latest) CPS. If this doesnt do the trick, see my support page to get help.
I also found the google search long ago and tried the above that you posted, prior to my post. When you hex edit, reinstalling doesn’t help much. But I reinstalled and re hex edited, and again ran in admin mode. Windows is also up to date. Still no dice.
When the hex edit is undone, the program operates as it should. I have verified through multiple sources that the edit was correct.
Thanks

Last edited:

Rlahey

Well if the software working fine when you undo the hex edit... sounds like you are bugging up the hex edit. I followed same directions and it works as it should.
Totally agree- but I’ve followed the directions for the hex edit to the letter. While I am glad it worked for you, I absolutely cannot replicate that success. 2000- 200e (or row 15) change 06 to 17. At this point I guess I’ll just upgrade to 2.0