TRBO RAS x36 Decode vs Non RAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

rr60

Premium Subscriber
I am seeing numerous differences on how my x36 radios are handling TRBO decoding of RAS enabled systems. This includes variables on passing audio but not TG Id information as well.

The odd thing is that they will pass RAS systems audio in one configuration but not another.

For example the thread by Gary123 shows how to run discovery on a single freq system. This works perfect for me. Once I the change the frequency in that system to a TRBO system that is running RAS protection it will pass no audio whatsoever.

http://forums.radioreference.com/un...-program-simplex-channel-no-repeater-dmr.html

The same holds true in several other x36 confiugurations. No the RAS system is not "encrypted" .

So anyone else? Best.

gary123

I have no RAS systems locally so I cannot see if there is any other settings to check. How dos the unit perform if the freq is entered as a conventional channel?

Ubbe

You are refeering to a link about DMR simplex but you have trouble setting up a trbo system?
That makes no sense.

Simplex mode uses a different protocol and will not decode a TRBO transmission.

/Ubbe

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Due to the nature of RAS, every sentence that comes over the control channel looks like it has CRC errors. Because of this, we can do no error-checking for valid TGID and other data. If there is a data error during a channel grant it can result in invalid TGIDs being displayed (in ID Search mode) or the scanner could fail to accept a hit on an otherwise valid TGID.

This can also affect non-RAS systems, as the only way we have to determine programmatically whether the system is RAS or not is if the scanner gets CRC errors on incoming sentences. So, a poorly received non-RAS system is basically treated the same as a well (or poorly)-received RAS system.

rr60

Premium Subscriber
Paul, your reply makes sense. Appreciate providing clarify. I suspect this may be root of other posters questions. Any testing of FW PM as I am a sys op admin. Kudo's

Ubbe

The odd thing is that they will pass RAS systems audio in one configuration but not another.

For example the thread by Gary123 shows how to run discovery on a single freq system. This works perfect for me. Once I the change the frequency in that system to a TRBO system that is running RAS protection it will pass no audio whatsoever.

Makes no sense to explain it by CRC errors, unless you also program fixed TGs and do not use the ID Search ON feature.

/Ubbe

D

DaveNF2G

Due to the nature of RAS, every sentence that comes over the control channel looks like it has CRC errors. Because of this, we can do no error-checking for valid TGID and other data.

DSDPlus has no problem doing this.

gary123

The CRC format and information is standardized in the ETSI documents. From my research the information is not proprietary. I could be wrong though Im not a lawyer.

wuping

Feed Provider
Uniden x36 RAS

After reading many posts about the RAS Key feature of DMR, I'm still a bit confused if conversations can be understood with the DMR upgrade on my BCD436HP. Before spending the money for the upgrade will there be something to hear? Our local police, Hopatcong NJ use this system/feature. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

racingfan360

After reading many posts about the RAS Key feature of DMR, I'm still a bit confused if conversations can be understood with the DMR upgrade on my BCD436HP. Before spending the money for the upgrade will there be something to hear? Our local police, Hopatcong NJ use this system/feature. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

I have used my 436 on several CAP+ RAS enabled systems: no issues decoding the audio at all. As long as the system you're listening to doesn't have encryption enabled, you should be fine.

RocketNJ

the 536 DOES NOT decode a single frequency Trbo repeater with RAS if programmed as One Frequency Trunked. It will decode as conventional DMR but that does not allow listening/tracking a specific group.

So, if Hopatcong DPW shares the system with PD you will hear both. Not sure how it handles two simultaneous conversations (both time slots in use)

Status
Not open for further replies.