Treasure Coast viewers should get glimpse of passing Space Station tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.

W4TF

Treasure Coast viewers should get glimpse of passing Space Station tonight » TCPalm.com

Providing the weather cooperates, the Treasure Coast will get a prime opportunity to view the International Space Station as it passes overhead Thursday night.

The space station will look like a bright, slow-moving star during a four-minute flyover around 8:45 p.m. along the Treasure Coast. It will show up 17 degrees above the southwest horizon and move toward the northeast. Time and coordinates might vary slightly up and down the coast.

The National Weather Service in Melbourne calls for partly cloudy skies around 9 tonight. Partly cloudy is defined as 30 percent to 70 percent coverage, which should allow spectators to spot the spaceship.

What’s so special about the pass is that the space station will reach a height of 84 degrees above the horizon — nearly directly overhead. It should glimmer brightly in the sunlight about 220 miles above Earth.

For the station to be visible to Earth-based observers, sighting opportunities generally occur within an hour before sunrise or an hour after sunset, when there’s a glow on the horizon.

For more exact sighting information in your location, visit Human Space Flight (HSF) - Realtime Data.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Florida sees the ISS just about daily, since it launched from there.

W4TF

I've been here in FL for MANY MANY moons yet have never seen the ISS.

This leads me to think 2 things...

1. I don't know what to look for and/or I've seen it and not known

2. it's not as easy to see as you would think

I am leaning toward #2 since this is appearantly "news worthy" by the local newspaper. however, I am not dismissing a bit of theory #1 could be in play.

Either way - the report by the paper is posted for those like me that have never seen it and would like to take a gander.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
I've got good news and bad news ;)

Good) Theory #1 in your post is correct. It happens probably 20 times a month in Florida.

Bad) The story was for yesterday. The ISS is not visible tonight other than a brief skim just before 5am tomorrow morning.

Human Space Flight (HSF) - Sightings

W4TF

I quote the great philosopher Homer {Simpson] - "DOH!" :)

I have to be more observant I guess. Hopefully I'll see it one day soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.