treatment for rusty tower & nuts/bolts

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZhummer

just got a used aluminum tower with a rusty base. (image: drop.io tenna10 ) based on experiences, whats the best way to take care of it before burying it in with sand in dry Arizona?

Heard a few coats of Ospho would be a good start. then what to prevent future rusting?

Also, didnt come with any nuts/bolts. What are recommended for aluminum towers, I assume something mid-grade?

Suggestions welcome!

Thx!

K

kb0nly

Wire brush or wire wheel on a grinder or one of those paint stripper sponges in a drill, clean up the rust as good as you can. Wipe it down with a rag and some prep-solv, basically paint thinner, then give it a couple light coats of Cold Galvanizing paint, most of them are 80% or more Zinc.

I have a couple towers that i painted using this method and they still look great! The paint will fade down after a year or so and look more like the rest of the tower, but it will be pretty shiny at first.

As for bolts, grade 5 at a minimum, i would go grade 8 even. You can't go overboard on the bolts in my opinion, its the weakest part of the tower.

Status
Not open for further replies.