Trenton Fire Inquiry

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeyperillo

Adrift in an analog world
Premium Subscriber
Greetings All - I like monitoring the Trenton Fire simulcast of the UHF (SDS200) and they simulcast the dispatch but work on scene on other non simulcast NXDN channels (Fire 2, etc) - my question - does anyone here have experience with Trenton Fire tac channels to be able to give an opinion whether it is worth my paying $75 for NXDN keys? It's a lot of money if the channels are not so interesting......nothing else near me is NXDN that I know of (trash trucks and such in the Capitol City, I suppose). Thanks!

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I can't answer your question about the tac channels, but I can tell you that if you're paying $75 for the NXDN key, you're getting ripped off. You can purchase the NXDN key directly from Uniden for $50. Don't pay a cent more from anyone else.

joeyperillo

Premium Subscriber
Thank you - $75 at Bearcat Warehouse and ScannerMaster......emailed Uniden because I can't find the option on their site - appreciate your reply very much.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Hey Joey how are you, when you say you're talking about the fireground with Trenton, if you're talking about Simplex frequencies that are low power as far as I know they don't use them. The last time Dan and I went up there to try to confirm this we could not find them being used. Fireground is going to be F2 F3 ect... and they will start with F2 first then go to 3 then to 4 depending on how many different calls they have.

460.575, pl 103.5 has been rebroadcasting Trenton fire for well over 20 years even back when they first went digital in 2000 and before that it was actually their Fire frequency when the police were on 460.60...

Philly DJ Dan and I had mapped out the NXDN system in 2015 and used laptops in our cars with DSD. Of course the police were in the clear for five years but always said if a certain thing was to happen they would go encrypted, it did, and they are now encrypted.

The last time I checked out the database the frequencies were wrong. They made a lot of changes on the State Street and Hoffman Avenue sites. I was retired by then and didn't care to research what the new frequencies were as all it would be for would be fire, dog catcher, DPW, housing inspectors, Water Department Etc. F2, 3 4 Etc, it's also rebroadcast on UHF fire. There are some frequencies that are administrative that they do not repeat. Since we don't have the right frequencies anyway I think you are best just staying with the UHF rebroadcast.

It is a really crappy system, the nxdn, I don't think you would get both sites anyway knowing your difficult RF environment, you do need to pick up both sites so as not to miss any transmissions. I don't think I would waste the money on the upgrade.

Last edited:

joeyperillo

Premium Subscriber
Hey Joey how are you, when you say you're talking about the fireground with Trenton, if you're talking about Simplex frequencies that are low power as far as I know they don't use them. The last time Dan and I went up there to try to confirm this we could not find them being used. Fireground is going to be F2 F3 ect... and they will start with F2 first then go to 3 then to 4 depending on how many different calls they have.

460.575, pl 103.5 has been rebroadcasting Trenton fire for well over 20 years even back when they first went digital in 2000 and before that it was actually their Fire frequency when the police were on 460.60...

Philly DJ Dan and I had mapped out the NXDN system in 2015 and used laptops in our cars with DSD. Of course the police were in the clear for five years but always said if a certain thing was to happen they would go encrypted, it did, and they are now encrypted.

The last time I checked out the database the frequencies were wrong. They made a lot of changes on the State Street and Hoffman Avenue sites. I was retired by then and didn't care to research what the new frequencies were as all it would be for would be fire, dog catcher, DPW, housing inspectors, Water Department Etc. F2, 3 4 Etc, it's also rebroadcast on UHF fire. There are some frequencies that are administrative that they do not repeat. Since we don't have the right frequencies anyway I think you are best just staying with the UHF rebroadcast.

It is a really crappy system, the nxdn, I don't think you would get both sites anyway knowing your difficult RF environment, you do need to pick up both sites so as not to miss any transmissions. I don't think I would waste the money on the upgrade.
Thanks very much, Bob. As you know it is slim pickins in these parts for much of interest for me (no marine, etc). I thought I might be missing something when TFD dispatch says to "operate on Fire 1" and such. I will content myself in getting daily weather and road reports from the Bridge Commission and keep up with the action from Jersey Fish and Game Rangers until such time as they feel the need to protect themselves from radio miscreants as they have in PA. You and Dan are a veritable wealth of information and I appreciate it very much.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
If you listen to that Trenton rebroadcast of the nxdn fire system you shouldn't miss anyting, after every fire call is dispatched they assign F2 or F3 to operate on, if you keep listening that's what you will be hearing, the secondary talk group that they switch to. If there was some type of simplex fireground frequency off of the system that they were using it would only have a range of about a mile so you wouldn't hear them anyway.

Unfortunately Dan no longer participates on radio reference oh, he had his fill, he was one of the best contributors for our region but I'll tell you in person some of his thoughts about RadioReference LOL. I see you sent something else, I'll check it.

Status
Not open for further replies.