Tri band antenna on dual band ht

KL5LD

Mark 12: 29-31
Premium Subscriber
Hello all,

So, stupid question from a newb. I have come upon a Diamond Tri-band ht antenna and I guess my question is can I use this tri-band antenna on my dual-band ht? To be honest I am kinda scared to put it on my radios because not sure what will happen if anything. I just don't want to break my radios or the antenna. Will it still pick up 2m/70cm or will it do nothing at all? Will it damage my radio or the antenna if I key it up? Thanks for all the help guys, I appreciate it.

FKimble

The threaded part of radios are not all the same. So the threaded part must be right, if not damage can be done if forced. Why put a triband on a dual band? Get a good dual band antenna an life is good. And a telescoping antenna will be a pain in more ways than one until it self-destructs'

Frank

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I use the Diamond SRH320A tri-band antenna on various dual band handhelds and it works fine, as that antenna covers the frequency range those handhelds transmit on. If whatever triband antenna you have handles the amateur 2m/70cm range you’re good to go.

Which antenna is it?

bharvey2

As long as two of the three bands are 2m/70cm, and the antenna fits properly on your radio, you should be fine. You didn't mention what radio you have or the connector type but if they're SMA connectors, pay close attention to the gender and pin length and make sure that they mate properly. If all of the above conditions are met, you should be good to go.

KL5LD

Mark 12: 29-31
Premium Subscriber
Why put a triband on a dual band? Get a good dual band antenna an life is good.

Well, the reason for it is that I have a stock antenna on one of my radios and I don't want to have to buy another antenna for it if the tri-band will work on it. I understand just because it is a tri-band doesn't mean it will give me magical access to frequencies outside of 2/70, but really it's because I am cheap I don't want to buy another antenna when I have this one for free lol. Thanks for the info!:)

TexTAC

As long as 2 of the 3 “tribands” are 2m and 70cm you should be good to go with the proper connector. It will probably be a big improvement over a stock antenna.