• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Tricking RPM for out of band

Status
Not open for further replies.

k4do

I know that Motorola software can be tricked to transmit out of band but Harris? I have a P5300 that is in the 900 band. Problem is it is useless for ham work unless you want to transmit only. The programmer wants to see frequencies above 935 for receive. Any solution bringing the receive down into the ham band?

k4do

RPM Maintenance Utility has a subpart called calibration data. In there is a box called Frequency. It is greyed out but it shows the Tx min as 896 and the max as 902. The Rx min as 935 and the max as 941. How to edit?

ScubaJungle

I can't help you with how, but I would imagine that the radios would be pressed to work anywhere more than 10mhz out of band. Not sure how far youre trying to get, but I would keep that in mind.
I would be interested in seeing how it plays out if you do find a way, though

simulcastge

I can't help you with how, but I would imagine that the radios would be pressed to work anywhere more than 10mhz out of band. Not sure how far youre trying to get, but I would keep that in mind.
I would be interested in seeing how it plays out if you do find a way, though
control and r at the same time used to work.

suwanneecomm

i would think you would search for band edges you want to mod and add to file. if it were me i would look into different radio for the 900 band can be found relatively cheap on ebay such as the xtl or xts or the kenwood 941 or 981.

K2NEC

Or the Waris series is very good, granted you don't need digital

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Edit: Please disregard. I couldn't see the video earlier.

On a Harris radio, you'll need an SC4 or SC5 file to take them out of band. I used to have some for various radios and bands. It either programs above or below the base frequency. So if you had a 150-174 radio and wanted to program ham frequencies, you'd use an SC4 file that would shift the base freq (150) down 6 MHz and the you'd program every freq in the radio 6 MHz above the needed freq. Then, when writing to the radio, the SC4 file will shift every freq down 6 MHz. It works, but is very time consuming and you can never read the radio to do any editing as once you read the radio, the frequencies will be the actual frequencies and if you try to program, RPM will complain that it is out of band.

Last edited:

k4do

i would think you would search for band edges you want to mod and add to file. if it were me i would look into different radio for the 900 band can be found relatively cheap on ebay such as the xtl or xts or the kenwood 941 or 981.
Personally I have no use for 900. I'm doing it for knowledge and that others might learn. I have done the mod for XTSs and it is a bit tougher because I had to figure out the checksum for the entire program. a downside to the harris is lack of fpp on the p series. anyway moving along I noticed in the file you created, you used b0, b1 etc. Assuming I had 2 numbers to change, what would the alpha designator be for the second frequency? Thanks, you have been quite helpful. Next I will go look at some files.

k4do

On a Harris radio, you'll need an SC4 or SC5 file to take them out of band. I used to have some for various radios and bands. It either programs above or below the base frequency. So if you had a 150-174 radio and wanted to program ham frequencies, you'd use an SC4 file that would shift the base freq (150) down 6 MHz and the you'd program every freq in the radio 6 MHz above the needed freq. Then, when writing to the radio, the SC4 file will shift every freq down 6 MHz. It works, but is very time consuming and you can never read the radio to do any editing as once you read the radio, the frequencies will be the actual frequencies and if you try to program, RPM will complain that it is out of band.
The sc5 raises up? I just looked at the RPM and in the options and directories the is a Check box for "Enable SC5 Files"

Last edited:

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
It is just a newer file type. The raising or lowering depends on how the file is structured. It has been years since I modified them. I don't think I have any for 900, but it would be similar. I'll have to check when I get home.

k4do

I created an sc5 file that file was 920000000 dec. that was not sucessful. What comes to mind is, how is the file written to raise or lower frequency. What parameter gets changed? b? what denotes up or down?
what parameter affects lower ffreq limit and what affects upper freq limit.
Is there a such thing as a "Mapping file"?

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
You have to know the addresses in the code. Each radio is different. It is also not a direct conversion. I think the video above covers how to calculate everything. I forgot to look at my sc files last night.

suwanneecomm

found a sc file for you also might want to look around a groups.io group called ge-orion lots of info on them there

Attachments

• 902_amateur_offset .zip
    452 bytes · Views: 35

Radioman96p71

Feed Provider
The SC5 files are meant to be used at the direction of Harris TAC. What rescue161 says is accurate, each radio is different and each SC4/5 file was typically created by TAC and given to the customer to 'solve' particular problems that didn't warrant an immediate firmware release. Think of them as hot-fixes for software issues, TAC would send them out to see if the issue went away and then roll that patch into the next firmware release. These patches basically just altered an EEPROM value after the radio was written, e.g. ProGrammer would write 896.000 MHz to the radio and then the radio would "adjust" that to 902 on first boot. That's why, when the radio was read back out, the values would be un-adjusted and ProGrammer would error out.

The SC4 file format from years ago was reverse-engineered from an SC4 file that was created to move the bandsplit of the Orion radios slightly for a customer. Once the format was figured out, SC4 files were put out in the wild that could adjust the bandsplit of just about any Orion radio. This same patch format was also found to work with the M7100.

SC5 was the new file format when ProGrammer was replaced with RPM. The file format itself is exactly the same, and the patch is entirely dependent on the radio it's applied to. So far, only a handful of the patches were able to translate to more modern radios. AFAIK, there have been no publicly-avaialble SC5 to move any OMAP radio out of band. The file format is the same, it's just not what the radio is expecting and disregards it.

There are 2 ways to move the x5300 900MHz radio out of band. Either edit the frequency table in the code upgrade file and flash the radio, or find the correct SC5 command to do it on-the-fly. Both are extremely difficult to do outside of help from TAC. I'm sure a TAC engineer would read this and laugh as they look at the formula for how SC5 band-edits are made, they just haven't been leaked to the wild yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.