Triggering a LIGHT when tones are sent

Status
Not open for further replies.

taylormade

I'm in a small fire department in upstate New York
We're on the fringe of the district and therefore have frequent problems with members not getting pager (Minitor) alerts due to radio interference or lack of good signal.
This problem is really bad (believe it or not) right inside the fire hall.
I'd like to install a set of flashing lights in each of the gathering rooms (banquet, club, meeting etc) that would be triggered by our two-tone alert.
I've heard we have some old Plectrons up in a store-room and I was wondering if there is a version that might allow for contact closure on the back or some way to make one of them work to activate small lights to alert members.
Anyone with any OTHER suggestions .. ?
Bob

dwh367

I'm in a small fire department in upstate New York
We're on the fringe of the district and therefore have frequent problems with members not getting pager (Minitor) alerts due to radio interference or lack of good signal.
This problem is really bad (believe it or not) right inside the fire hall.
I'd like to install a set of flashing lights in each of the gathering rooms (banquet, club, meeting etc) that would be triggered by our two-tone alert.
I've heard we have some old Plectrons up in a store-room and I was wondering if there is a version that might allow for contact closure on the back or some way to make one of them work to activate small lights to alert members.
Anyone with any OTHER suggestions .. ?
Bob

The first thing you would need to check is if your current infrastructure is still compatible with the Plectrons (i.e. your department hasn't changed frequencies or tones since they were last used). If at least one of them would still work, what about taking the audio from it and feeding it into a cheap P.A. system with strategically placed speakers? There are a lot better ideas that I could come up with but I'm trying to keep in mind the budget of a rural VFD.

taylormade

we have that already

we do have some speakers around extending from our main receiver, but when things get loud in these rooms a light will get attention more than a speaker.
bob

firemedic2150

Database Admin
I have used a couple of the Veetronix alert receivers in the past they are easy to set up cheap and reliable. The units do offer a relay output that will trip lights or sirens and then depending on programming have to be manualy reset or timer auto reset. The audio level is very good you can feed a small horn speaker without an outboard amp and fill a small station bay with audio just fine.

Alert Features

MMc.

Status
Not open for further replies.