Trip down Western VA - STARS

Status
Not open for further replies.

troymail

Silent Key
I'm getting ready for a trip out of Frederick Maryland and down I-81 to Staunton. I'm not seeing entries for STARS in the following counties:

Clark
Shannandoah
Warren
Page

Are these counties covered by other sites or just not known?

fredva

Feed Provider
I'm pretty sure they are covered by STARS sites in adjacent counties. Especially when you consider that a couple sites are up in the higher elevations of the Blue Ridge, just to the east of I-81, so they probably have a good coverage area.

Last edited:

QDP2012

In the Wiki, the Travel Reference (VA) pages list STARS sites along major roadways. Here's the link for the I-81 page.

RR Wiki: Travel Reference (VA) I-81

In the table, the sites' names are clickable links that take you back to the appropriate DB page to get the site-specific frequencies.

Note: The table is initially sorted by mile-marker, which corresponds to a North-bound route. You would need read the table from the bottom-up to match southbound travel.

Note 2: The table is "sortable". If you click on the little arrow next to the title of the first-column ("Mile"), you can sort with a descending sort, which will make the table match southbound travel..

Hope this helps,

Last edited:

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
You will be in my neck of the woods. Most of the counties you are traveling to are all in the Culpeper Division of VSP. Shenandoah and Page are on Culpeper Ch. 2, and I am almost positive Warren and Clarke are as well. You will be in Augusta County when you are in Staunton and that is Division 3. If you are looking only for the local VSP Div., Culpeper TG's ( Div 2) and Appomattox (Div 3) are all you will need. You would also almost certainly hear most of the traffic from Fairfax Division when you are in the northern part of the valley and Richmond toward the south, as well- and occasionally other divisions if you are interested in those.

I would load at least the following towers: Fork Mt. (Madison County), Mount Weather (Loudon), Independent Hill (Prince William), Hogback (Rappahanock), Harrisonburg (Rockingham), Rawley Springs (Rockingham), Bear Den (Albemarle- but a major tower), Elliott Knob (Augusta).

If you have any more questions, let us know. Safe travels!

GmanX

Premium Subscriber
Dont forget Big Mountain is in Page and covers quite a bit of the Shenadoah valley

BushDoctor

Another stars site Frederick county- Pinnacle Knob

You will be in my neck of the woods. Most of the counties you are traveling to are all in the Culpeper Division of VSP. Shenandoah and Page are on Culpeper Ch. 2, and I am almost positive Warren and Clarke are as well. You will be in Augusta County when you are in Staunton and that is Division 3. If you are looking only for the local VSP Div., Culpeper TG's ( Div 2) and Appomattox (Div 3) are all you will need. You would also almost certainly hear most of the traffic from Fairfax Division when you are in the northern part of the valley and Richmond toward the south, as well- and occasionally other divisions if you are interested in those.

I would load at least the following towers: Fork Mt. (Madison County), Mount Weather (Loudon), Independent Hill (Prince William), Hogback (Rappahanock), Harrisonburg (Rockingham), Rawley Springs (Rockingham), Bear Den (Albemarle- but a major tower), Elliott Knob (Augusta).

If you have any more questions, let us know. Safe travels!

Pinnacle Knob Frederick County

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
Called Massanuten try that

I know there is one being planned for Massanutten, however I am not aware of an active site there at this time.

I do question Site 110's (Harrisonburg) whereabouts. It was at the Area 16 office in Harrisonburg, but seems to have moved. It now seems to have a wider coverage area of the Shenandoah Valley. I am wondering if this site has been moved somewhere on Massanutten Mt.

Status
Not open for further replies.