Trip to Reno and Fernley, anything good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scankid2591

Hi everybody,
I'm gonna go to Reno and Fernley this weekend, does anyone have any good freq's that I should tune into?

sigint1

Was: joking
Most of the Reno area agencies and NHP are on the Washoe County EDACS system - which is in the database here on RR - there is a notation someone put on the system page that the system is depreciated and may no longer be in use but I can assure you they don't know what they are talking about - it is very much alive and well - I dispatch on it 5 days a week - you would want to put in the meto simulcast for the reno area.

JoeyC

Joe and company. Someone apparently merged the Washoe county system with the NV statewide system in the database. The message "This system is depreciated, and may no longer be in use or is superceded by another system." only shows when navigating to the county trunked page by way of the My Trunked systems page. I couldn't even find the Washoe county system when browsing the Database. I'm not sure what the relation of these two systems is to each other, but it sure is confusing in the database when it is commonly referred to as the Washoe County Regional Communications System. Perhaps whoever the DB admin is for NV could clarify this?

sigint1

That would sure be nice - the Washoe system has the capability to interface with the NSRS system but it is still a viable and in use system - like I said I dispatch on it every day at work - occasionaly the Washoe county talkgroups do show up on the NSRS system - and I have yet to figure out why (except of course NHP who have been on the county system ever since their VHF trunked system debacle) but I do know that is was designed from the start with the capability to interface with the state system - but by no means has the NSRS replaced it - I always went to the database like you did from my trunked systems - never even tried to find it the other way until you said something - this definately needs to be corrected!!!

Last edited:

sigint1

I sent a message to the NV admin through the submit info page for the Washoe system - maybe we can find out something???

SCPD

QRT
n4voxgill said:
chicken ranch is frequency pretty regular also

Is that what they are calling Joe Conforti's (sp?) old Mustang Ranch now? If so I guess it would take a regular to know the frequency is "pretty regular also" ?!?!

Some years ago, on the west side of Montgomery Pass just off of U.S. 6 north of Bishop, was an establishment called "Janey's Ranch." I was working on the Toiyabe National Forest at the time when our Bridgeport helicopter was returning from a fire on the Las Vegas District (now called the Spring Mountain National Recreation Area) of the same Forest. They travelled east of the White Mountain range and were in the Montgomery Pass area when a "chip light" came on. All the components of a helicopter that contain oil reserviors such as the engine and drive trains have magnetic detectors that when a piece of metal lands on them, an indicatior lights up for the pilot. Normally, they land the ship right away as it could indicate the beginning of a serious problem, although in most cases it is not a large problem. Well as they fly near "Janey's Ranch" the chip light goes on and the helitack captain, who normally rides shotgun, comes on the radio and tells dispatch they have a chip light and are going to land the ship quickly. As he describes the location he pauses just before saying the words "Janey's Ranch", no doubt trying to think of another location he could use that was as easily understood as the name of the establishment, knowing that the odds are very low that a chip light would come on near such a place, and knowing the story they would have to endure on the Forest for many years to come. Since it was a semi-long flight, the service truck and mechanic were several hours behind the ship, negotiating U.S. 95. When the mechanic finally arrived and confirmed it was not a problem after removing the piece of metal, the helicopter had to transmitt they were in the air once again and would be enroute to Bridgeport on a certain heading from um, Janey's Ranch. The story still lives on even though this was in the early 80's.

Then there was the time a survey was done in the vicinity of the U.S. 395/Westguard Pass highway junction near the Cottontail Ranch. The survey indicated that past surveys done by the owners of the ranch had a significant error and the "ranch" was actually on public land administered by the BLM. While the necessary land exchange process was in motion, a special use permit had to be issued by the BLM to authorize the use of the land, pending the completion of the land exchange process, which, by necessity, takes at least 18-24 months if significant environmental issues are not found. It raised a few eye brows back in Washington when they asked how to code the use on the permit. Seems the database didn't have a numerical code for such a use of the land. When someone from the Tonopah Field Station of the Battle Mountain District of the BLM had to sign out and put their location on the board (they now all do this and call dispatch even if they are not a fire or law enforcement resource due to safety reasons) they had to list "Janey's Ranch" and the reasons they were going to the places they were traveling to that day. Such words as "Granite Mtn. Allotment" (a grazing permit area) and "permit inspection" or "counting" (when cattle or sheep are put on or taken off a permit area for the season). I can just see some dry erase board with "Janey's Ranch" and "permit inspection" written on it and the guff that employee had to take for several days or much longer. "Did you fully inspect all the facilities and activities authorized by the permit?" were no doubt asked of the employee later. "What did you find, are they in um, compliance?"

Last edited:

sigint1

Actually the Wild Horse Adult Resort is what replaced the Mustang - just down the road a bit - and they even have some of the old mustang buildings over there.

Status
Not open for further replies.