Tripod Antenna Mount

Status
Not open for further replies.

spongella

Premium Subscriber
Camera tripods can be used to mount smaller antennas for field or even indoor use if you have landlord/HOA issues. Attached is one Dolica tripod with a 2.5 Ghz antenna and a WA5VJB PC Yagi, used outdoors just to scan the bands once in a while using an SDR dongle. The small Yagi feedline terminates with a male SMA for easy attachment to a dongle. The 2.5 GHz terminates with an N connector.

Nice thing is that you can easily turn the antennas using the "armstrong" method and point for maximum signal.

The PVC mount is made of 1/2 and 3/4 inch PVC. It mounts to the tripod using an endcap that has a ¼"–20 × 7/8" coupling nut that's epoxied into a hole drilled in the center of the endcap. To add stability, a large washer is placed between the coupling nut and the tripod mount.

One word of caution; always make sure the tripod is weighed down properly, and never leave it unattended, I've wrecked a few antennas already due to this.

Attachments

• 100_7030.jpg
    100_7030.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 1,097

CanesFan95

I do a similar thing for 700 MHz here in the apartment. So what do you monitor on 2.5GHz?

PACNWDude

Very nice. I have done this in the past, but with very small antennas....such as the SDR dongle antennas.

At some point I need to make an adapter plate since it seems the tripod is very useful for portable antenna use. A Buddistick I bought some years back came with a bracket for use on picnic tables. The camera tripod is a better option though.

Thank you for shairng.

Status
Not open for further replies.