Tripod/Mast Antenna question

Status
Not open for further replies.

wbwarnerb

Hi guys,

I'm thinking of setting up an outdoor antenna. Thing is, i don't really want it on my roof. I came across a few links, but perhaps I don't understand it... it seems there are "tripod" mounts for Antenna's - as well as poles for Antenna's. Some of these I've seen advertised as up to 33'.

I'm curious if anyone here has used such a method to set up an antenna (Discone etc) onto a mast or tripod, and if so, what the reception increase was like. Was it worth it?

Currently I'm just using a whip antenna on my handheld, and I'm looking to have a antenna alternative to bring in distance transmissions and boost the gain I'm currently getting.

Rather then set the antenna on the roof, I was considering getting a discone and setting it up in the back yard on a mast or tripod. I see here in these two links that the tripod raises 6' or so and the mast goes up to 33'. How important is it to raise a discone above the height of the house?

Here are some links to these tripods and masts that I've seen:
http://www.hamcity.com/detail.aspx?ID=1842
http://www.hamcity.com/detail.aspx?ID=1843

btritch

I don't know if the different types of mounts, Mast or Tripod would make a difference or not but I can tell you just getting an antenna outside above the roofline would make a huge difference compared to that whip you're using indoors right now... I didn't used to think it'd make a difference either but once I found out it did, I wouldn't go back, trust me, It makes a difference just having an antenna outside, The higher the better...Whether on a tripod or mast I don't think it'd make a difference, Just the antenna being outside will make the difference, Perhaps someone else with experience with tripod/mast mounts will have a better opinion on how they work, I don't have one so I can't comment on that.. I'll just tell you what I know... Hope it helps.. Thanks!

jjk9

I've been using a BC890XLT since the mid-nineties... initially with the telescopic antenna; could not pick much up from my home 20; I decided to put up a discone from Radio Shack in 1996; mounted it to a 10'mast pipe on a chimney mount... a whole new world opened up!! has been up on the chimney ever since; never had a problem in about 12 years now. If I recall, the whole setup (mast, coax, chimney mount and antenna was about $70.00... best investment I ever made!!!!
I also use 2 different tripod mounts on the roof, a 3' tripod with 12' of heavy water pipe holding an Imax antenna, and a 5 ft tripod with 15' of same pipe carrying a JoGunn Beam and rotor assembly.... the 5' tripod is much sturdier since it will line up with the roof rafters (3' will not without adding cross members under roof) BUT, for a small discone type scanner antenna a chimney mt with 8' to 10' of mast should be more than enough, Mine has seen 12 0r 13 winters in the NE, all kinds of ice, storms etc... and it's withstood the test of time in NE PA

Last edited:

wbwarnerb

Thanks everyone.

It looks like that's what I'm going to do... have a tall mast with a discone.

Thanks again for all your input.

tilleyhat

I mount my yagi/scantenna on the top of 30 ft mast, build with 3x10ft (1" dia.) galvanized electrical conduit sections, supported by a tripod at the base. and grounded with bare aluminum wire.

hawkeye32

Premium Subscriber
I have mine mounted on a tripod/mast up about 35-40 feet works great...I believe you can find tripod/masts on ebay for relatively cheap..I got mine from one of the USMC bases...They use these while out in the field, very sturdy for high winds and rough terrain as well, Like i say you may be able to find one on ebay...I do have extra poles, but no tripod to put them in...

Hooligan

I did something similar years ago when I lived in an apartment. I was on the top floor & had access to the roof, so I mounted a tripod to a 6'x6' wooden board & put the antenna atop a 10' mast section. The only advice I can offer to you is to make sure you anchor that tripod down firmly, so the wind load combined with the weight of the antenna & masting doesn't cause everything to topple over.

I dunno what sort of masting you're going to use to get that antenna 30' up into the air -- if it's the fiberglass or PVC extendable stuff I'd worry it's going to flex enough so that at 30', your antenna is going to be tilted. If it's aluminum or steel, I'd be concerned about the weight and whether or not the tripod can support it in high winds.

Either way, you might want to use some guy wires.

Please do follow-up with us and pass a SITREP after you carry out these antenna plans.

Tim

wbwarnerb

Hi so here's the followup.

I'm so glad I got the discone. I ended up buying a Jackite fiberglass pole that had some good reviews at eham.net. I first mounted it to a metal pole on one of my fences, but it was so close to my neighbors that I felt I should move it, in case it ever falls.

I put up a vertical post in my yard - connected to my house. Then I connected the Discone to the Jackite pole and attacked the Jackite to the post. The Jackite I didn't fully extend, as the top two lenths were just not wide enough (imo) to support the antenna. So the total length I'm getting right now is about 20' i think. It's over my roof though.

So performance wise... it's pretty nice. I ran a few tests. I live in San Bernardino co., and I'm picking up LA Harbor PD (both mobile and dispatch) clean and clear. I'm not getting all of LA though, but I never thought I would anyway.

Into my own area of San Bernardino I'm extending really deep. I'm getting Temecula pd dispatch and mobiles (which is about 75 miles from me) at full bars and clean and clear. The local mall police are now without static, and the mall police a city over is coming in really nicely as well. I'm actually shocked at the difference.

Aircraft is amazing. I dont really listen to this band much, but before I'd get a few hits that always sounded far away and staticy... now they are really crisp and clear and probably 5x as many hits.

One thing I read about the diamond discone is that it mainly opperates on 100mhz and higher. However I was able to get CB transmissions (from my house), which I could never get before.

So thanks everyone for your advice.

Please do follow-up with us and pass a SITREP after you carry out these antenna plans.

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.