Trivec-Avant Corp 2055-3 SatComm Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

techynyc

Every now and then I spot something interesting but not exactly in my particular area of scanning interest.
Today I happened upon a portable Military Satellite Antenna. From what I read it appear that this was designed for SpecOPs ype deployments.
I figured on this forum you all could tell me more about this Antenna and how it maybe be repurposed for Recreational receiving? Maybe HAM usage?
Thanks in advance. What is its value?

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
Note really useful for anthing other than UHF mil sats in the 225-400 MHz range. Though with some trouble it could be cut-down for amateur 400 MHz satellites, that would be extremely foolish as it is worth more for what it is designed for and you can buy amateur antennas for 400 MHz that would cost less. Price--if anyone is paying attention, it should get maybe $300 or more but on bids, anything can happen.

prcguy

That's a Trivec-Avant 2055-3 UHF satcom antenna missing some director elements. Its designed for the roughly 240-320MHz range for accessing UHF military satellites. It doesn't really have any other purpose due to its limited frequency range but there is some occasional non encrypted traffic you can receive off the military satellites.

Other versions of the antenna cover the full 225-400MHz range and could be used on 220MHz amateur frequencies but not this one. Value depends on how bad someone wants it and I would say its worth about $125 to $150 if its in working condition and a little more if it had all the director elements.

Every now and then I spot something interesting but not exactly in my particular area of scanning interest.
Today I happened upon a portable Military Satellite Antenna. From what I read it appear that this was designed for SpecOPs ype deployments.
I figured on this forum you all could tell me more about this Antenna and how it maybe be repurposed for Recreational receiving? Maybe HAM usage?
Thanks in advance. What is its value?

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
Other versions of the antenna cover the full 225-400MHz range and could be used on 220MHz amateur frequencies but not this one. Value depends on how bad someone wants it and I would say its worth about $125 to $150 if its in working condition and a little more if it had all the director elements.

I never saw one go that low in price. (I won several Trevec-Avant antennas.)

techynyc

Thanks for the quick replies! Very helpful.
With this one missing some director elements, I don't expect it will get much of a bid except by those who may know how to build the elements or get them from Mil/surplus inventory stock

PACNWDude

+1, prcguy knows his stuff on these. Used these in the military to coordinate air strike requests over the military UHF Follow-On (UFO) satellite constellation in a previous life. Have a couple AV-2030 series antennas and an AV-2050 that still comes in handy for listening to foreign "bootleggers" on those satelites.

The military classified these in the supply system as XB3 or throwaway when they became damaged. However, I was able to repair many of these, taught others to do so, and even Trivec manuals stated that they were repairable. But the final determination was that military personnel would most likely harm themselves attempting repair of the many spring loaded parts under tension.

Great antennas, as are the Darme and Margolin versions, and as they age the black anodized aluminum turns purple, much like HK MP5's. If you get one, do not let the radiating elements flip out fully on their own tension, a small circuit board tends to break. Hold them with your hand, slowing letting it flip out to its open position. Newer UHF satcom antennas are much more flexible and are less prone to breakage.

Status
Not open for further replies.