Troop C and Cheshire County Sheriffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

markinnh03451

Im only hearing Troop C on a freq found unde some cultural exchange department in state of NH... its dig p25 i think...but cheshire county sheriffs and all the local towns seem silent, I know they are not...I live on the hill up by the hospital in Springfield VT, I hear Newport, Claremont, Golden Cross and of Course Mutual Aid. I can hear Charlestown NH PD and Sullivan County Dispatch, but cant find Walpole PD even in the database!

Im using a newish 996p2 with all the upgrades and even programmed by Scannermaster. Maybe I need pitcher mountain repeater? Also onevoice site 76 interests me.

Any help would be great!

Best
Mark

KB1VLA

Are you monitoring the Cheshire County 155.070 repeater? That's where nearly every town in the county is dispatched. When I was in the area in June, it sound like they were running a simulcast system which some scanners can have a hard time decoding (my BCD396XT did).

markinnh03451

Hi KB1VLA,
Yes I have 155.070 programmed as p25 117 auto modulation in my BCD996p2. I do not know if they have a repeater. the antenaes are on carpenter hill in walpole nh and hyland hill in stoddard nh.... Unlike Mutual Air in Keene which repeats off MT Ascutney in VT (Windsor of Weathersfield) The towns in Cheshire County in the data base all have their own frequency. Moreover they are not programmed as digital per scannermaster programming. Is it possible for the towns to be dispatched on 155.070 p25 and call back into dispatch on a non p25 different frequency? Gosh I am such a newbie! but trying to think it out, hell maybe im just too far away! Thanks again

best

Markl

WX1N

Premium Subscriber
m only hearing Troop C on a freq found unde some cultural exchange department in state of NH... its dig p25 i think.

Troop C is on 154.665 and is properly listed here on RadioReference.

Unlike Mutual Air in Keene which repeats off MT Ascutney in VT (Windsor of Weathersfield)

SWNHDFMA ("Mutual Aid in Keene") has no transmitters on Ascutney, and does not use repeaters (with one or two small exceptions).

The towns in Cheshire County in the data base all have their own frequency.

Many towns that are dispatched by a regional dispatch center will have an additional frequency for local usage.

Is it possible for the towns to be dispatched on 155.070 p25 and call back into dispatch on a non p25 different frequency?

It is possible, but that's not how they're doing it (at least, not in the sense you're referring to). If you're hearing nothing at all on 155.07 then you either have something programmed wrong, or are unable to receive them from your location. Try programming in 155.07 as a quick entry without changing any settings.

WX1N

Premium Subscriber
I hear them so well.

They use a simulcast system with a large number of transmitters. If you catch them when they test each individual transmitter separately, you can get an idea of which ones you're hearing there, as they identify them by location as they test them.

markinnh03451

WX1N,
Thanks again for your reply. Thanks to your input I did look at the locations for KCF415. Dare I assume again, it seems like Lempster Mountain is where I am getting the signal.

I did enter 155.070 plain jane test....On ProScan,in just a half hour or so I got 74 hits but only once did I hear anything and of course it was digital. Signal strength again on ProScan is no lower than say Claremont PD, or Windsor County SO West, last RSSI was 285....

As a relativley new disabled person I have dived in (dove, or doven?)deeper into scanning with this 996p2 and really enjoy the real news!

Thanks for the feedback. Any suggestions on an rooftop antenna installer?

Best Regards,
Mark

WX1N

Premium Subscriber
I did look at the locations for KCF415. Dare I assume again, it seems like Lempster Mountain is where I am getting the signal.

I'd imagine you are getting a few. Glidden Hill in Unity; and I think they have one on Fall Mountain, those would be my guesses. But if you can catch them when they test each one individually you could find out for sure which ones you are hearing.

I did enter 155.070 plain jane test....On ProScan,in just a half hour or so I got 74 hits but only once did I hear anything and of course it was digital.

I think by default it should decode digital if it's strong enough and not encrypted, so I'd guess one of those could be the problem. Maybe someone who actually monitors them could chime in as to whether they use encryption and how often.

W1KNE

Owner ScanNewEngland
Database Admin
I did enter 155.070 plain jane test....On ProScan,in just a half hour or so I got 74 hits but only once did I hear anything and of course it was digital. Signal strength again on ProScan is no lower than say Claremont PD, or Windsor County SO West, last RSSI was 285....

Really sounds like you're having issues with the simulcast on your scanner. If you're receiving signal but not decoding audio, that is clear cut simulcast distortion problems. The 996 series scanners do not handle it very well. Your best bet is to either try less antenna gain (to cut off reception of the simulcast sites) or a directional antenna.

markinnh03451

Thanks for all your replies.

I do want a rooftop antenna but would a directional one reduce my other reception? Maybe 2 antennas? Woo Hoo!
All or any of the above would have to be budgeted in...seems like new sneakers for the car and heating oil are gonna beat out the antenna!

Best Regards

Mark

markinnh03451

creeperjeep,

thanks for your reply, I am such a newbie especially with digital scanning, does number tag tuning matter as far as reception? or is that simply a bcd996p2 specific thing...I do get a few recordable hits with that -18 hinsdale in the programming line.

BTW gotta love the Connecticut River Valley!

Best
Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.