TROOP H

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobmich52

Just Wondering

I travel 84 in Hartford daily during rush hour & have found Troop H to be practically no transmissions & all

Have they migrated to the 700 band or what might I be missing??

Troop C & K I am receiving normally

TIA

scollier

Hey

Last time I was up there it was zone5. I can still hear them on 5616 on 2. Are u heading west or east. Maybe u have them locked out. Heading west try z2. Heading east from hrfd. Try 6? Try 8 as well You could try the 700 and see what u get. I could be wrong but don't think they woul move to 700 completely if everyone else is still on 800 primarily

Best and stay dry
Shawn

cg

Premium Subscriber
They are still on Site 9 (Troop H) but I often can't monitor that in the scanners because of what I suspect is simulcast distortion. I can hear Troop H radios talking from another site and the scanner will not pick up a thing from Site 9. This started immediately after the system was rebanded. If I go where I can only get one site, it works fine. Driving on I-84 and I-91, it is very unreliable to unusable.
You can try the 700, but I don't know if there is a control station sitting on the TG that would ensure that, if there were no mobiles affiliated, it would still transmit that TG on the 700.

chris

Troop H

Just Wondering

I travel 84 in Hartford daily during rush hour & have found Troop H to be practically no transmissions & all

Have they migrated to the 700 band or what might I be missing??

Troop C & K I am receiving normally

TIA

I am in Central CT I monitor Troop H many hours per day.

No problems here. I hear them on multiple sites.

What type of scanner are you using?

Cheeseburgers

I used to have a similar problem. We lived right off of rt. 4 where 84 spills out into Farmington. Lots of distortion from John Dempsey, Avon Mtn etc. Sometimes I would pick up A&I better than I would H&W site. It was as if nothing was being said - ever. Now we're over in Bristol and I just use the H&W site and an SDS100 and I routinely hear more - it really is a night and day difference. One of these days I am going to bring the SDS100 back to where we used to live (by Mrs. Porters) and see how the unit performs. I suspect that I will actually be able to listen to the H&W site from that location and actually hear stuff.

*edit, before the SDS100 I was using a TRX-1, HP2, and 436hp ... out of the bunch the HP2 would tend to hear more and stay on conversations. They're all great scanners mind you, this type of stuff is so highly subjective based on location, weather, what you're scanning. That said, I really like how the SDS100 performs, I love the UI, and how it feels in my hand.

Last edited by a moderator:

SVFC462

Feed Provider
As the provider of the Troop H feed and between the (3) 996p2’s and (2) 996t’s I hear them fine everywhere (home, to & from work).

My scanner in my vehicle has been catching the talk groups on the Phase 2 system lately.

I was told by a state employee that the two systems are currently patched together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cg

Premium Subscriber
Everything is still driven by affiliations so if there are no P25 radios on the 700 side, there will be no traffic heard there. Troop H Dispatch 1 was active a few minutes ago and was not on P25 Sites 24 (C), 28 (H), or 41 (Hartford).
The tough thing to determine is how do you know what you don't hear? Short of seeing a crash and not hearing it, it can be difficult to know inactivity vs poor reception. If I travel through the I-91 corridor in the greater Hartford area, I use Site 4 (B) then switch to Site 6, (C & K). I get far more reliable reception than using Site 9 (H).

chris

bobmich52

I am in Central CT I monitor Troop H many hours per day.

No problems here. I hear them on multiple sites.

What type of scanner are you using?

In my vehicle I use a hp 2 hooked into a Larsen 150/450/800 antenna

I travel 84/91 during rush hours

When I get a chance I’ll listen to my 396 T( still works great), & my 436 to see what I can

coolrich55

Something has definitely changed here in the eastern part of the state. I live on the border of troop E and D area. Normally I listen to troop E K D F C and H. This morning troop C was talking about troop H involved in a chase. I switched to troop H and nothing at all. Nothing from H tonight either. Everything else is normal.

cg

Premium Subscriber
First, it depends on what sites you monitor. Then it depends on if a specific talkgroup is allowed at that site by the system. Then there needs to be a radio affiliated to that talkgroup and that site. Now that there are two Cells or zones in many areas, that pool of radios has been divided.

chris

coolrich55

I pick up the C/K site, D, and E sites. Always had been able to hear troop H. Had this scanner for 10 years. Troop H is gone. That's why I think something has changed on the systems end not mine.

brian943

Loud and Clear in Salem

I pick up the C/K site, D, and E sites. Always had been able to hear troop H. Had this scanner for 10 years. Troop H is gone. That's why I think something has changed on the systems end not mine.

Loud and clear in vicinity of Salem 4 corners, perhaps the control channel changed. Sure all the trunk frequencies are loaded?

coolrich55

Loud and clear in vicinity of Salem 4 corners, perhaps the control channel changed. Sure all the trunk frequencies are loaded?

All 3 control channels I'm recieving full power. The C/K site, the E and the D sites. I'm positive nothing has changed with my scanner. Looking at the site maps the C/K site also covers H's area. Anybody in far eastern part of the state have any insight?

cg

Premium Subscriber
It is likely no longer allowed on those sites. Troop H talk group has not been logged on site 6 (CK) since at least June so I would doubt it is on 7 (D) or 8 (E) unless there is a patch.

chris

coolrich55

It is likely no longer allowed on those sites. Troop H talk group has not been logged on site 6 (CK) since at least June so I would doubt it is on 7 (D) or 8 (E) unless there is a patch.

chris
Thanks Chris. That makes sence. Haven't noticed it was gone until I read this thread and started paying attention. I should've known something was up during that snow storm when the Hartford area roads were a mess couple weeks ago.

brian943

For what its worth, I still get TG 5616 consistently at the Salem 4 corners, about 40 hits since 11 am today, TG 5648 4 times, not sure which site I get here.

cg

Premium Subscriber
I would guess you are getting Site 5, Troop F using CC of 853.5625. Either East Lyme or Haddam towers.

chris

PJH

Premium Subscriber
Control stations - if no activity will disaffiliate from the system after many hours, at least on the 6.x and maybe 7.x systems using the ASTRO25 radios IIRC.

The control station may still hear the traffic, but its the only radio.... If another radio comes and goes, it would hear that traffic.

The orginal P25 P1 standards stated that subscriber radios were required to affiliate in order to unmute the traffic. That is not the case anymore, but there are still some models floating around as a FYI or firmware never updated as there really isn't a need for legit radios.

I'm also finding that if scanners are not programmed with all the control channels or even all the in use channels (some of the database stuff is off apparently) the scanners will not properly track the sites resulting in little to no traffic heard.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
Thanks Chris. That makes sence. Haven't noticed it was gone until I read this thread and started paying attention. I should've known something was up during that snow storm when the Hartford area roads were a mess couple weeks ago.

Is it that you did not hear anything during that storm?

Status
Not open for further replies.