Troop I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kingradio

Live in Carroll County-Berryville have Gre 600. I wonder if anyone in my area can pick up Troop I? Troop L out of Springdale is the only One I can pick up. Used the RR database wonder if they have changed freqs or something.

Bob

js_scan888

You're about 11 miles from the nearest Troop L tower, but you are about 22 miles from the nearest Troop I tower. Tune directly to the Troop I control freq on 866.2375 and turn the squelch all the way down. Now move the radio to different locations while listening to this freq. Hopefully you will hear the control channel break through the static, as you move to different locations. I have an antenna with about 15 ft cable on it, so that I can move the antenna around the room to find the best reception spot when trying to listen to distant systems. I've learned that just by moving the antenna a few feet, or moving it closer to the ceiling, I can improve the signal very much. Of course the best thing would be an outside antenna. The primary control freq is 866.2375, but also try the alternate freq 866.4875, just in case the system is currently using that one. You will find that 800 Mhz systems don't travel as much distance as UHF or VHF systems.

Kingradio

Thanks For The Info

I had a pretty good idea that was what it was but I didn't have a clue as to how far the tower was. I am trying to find an Austin Ferret at a reasonable price but finding they are knida hard to come by seems everyone has a 2 week or longer lead time. I have an old Scanner antenna up don't even remember the brand. Hooked up to it and got no help whatsover, however guess the conditions were just right and troop I came in a couple of times this AM also Also another one pertaining to Human Services. When I get a good antenna up should help local and 800 both. Sure appreciate your help for my dumb a-- questions.
Place looks like antenna farm now guess one more won't hurt. Thinking about getting my Ham licence so I can fire my old Heny up and listen to the neighbors wondering what is turning their touch pad light etc on and off LOL.

Bob
Ps do you know of a better base antenna than the Ferret for picking up all bands?

Status
Not open for further replies.