Trooper Burned While Helping Fight Grass Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

dstew67

Premium Subscriber
car2back said:
I wonder why he was driving through the fire? :confused:

He wasn't. He was on a small road, going door to door to warn people to evacuate. When he realized that he was inside the perimeter, he tried to turn his vehicle around and got stuck in some sand. He tried to rock his vehicle back and forth several times, but was unsuccessful.

Here's where the story get's very interesting. The fire quickly caught up to his vehicle. He realized that if he stayed in his vehicle, he would perish. He got out and ran around to the front of his vehicle, where he was knocked off his feet and burned by a wave of wind and fire. He got back up and ran a few more feet, where he was again knocked down by a wave of fire. He got back up again and ran, by some estimates, as much as a mile to a place where he saw some firefighters in the distance. He fired his handgun several times to get their attention.

He was driven to a local hospital by a fellow trooper. Weather here in the metro prevented helicopters from flying, so he was transported by ground from that local hospital to the Baptist Burn Center.

23-year old Trooper Josh Tinsley is expected to be released from the hospital sometime this week. He has second degree burns over 14% of his body. He has been a Trooper for 2 years.

His vehicle is a metal shell. That's a harrowing story!!

SCPD

QRT
d stew bad situation while doing his duty,, maybe those troppers could get some discarded turnout coats and pants from their local fire dept and carry them in the trunks of their cars in case they would come open a car fire etc it only would take a few mins to don the equipment or put over the trapped person while he trys to get them out.. it...s just a thought ..bo

hoser147

Widfires and Wind can make for a bad situation. Wind change or even the fire drawing for oxygen can make it a dangerous situation for anybody. Im sure the trooper didnt see any of this coming or he would have gotten out of harms way. Ive seen apparatus lost due to getting caught up in a wind driven wildfire. As for giving discarded fire gear to LEOs with out training I dont agree with that. Ive arrived on the scene of a house fire only to find a local Pd Sgt. laying out in the front yard cause he tried to enter a structure and the backdraft literally blew him out in the yard. To give them turnouts to use would just encourage them to get in a situation that they are not trained nor have the equipment to deal with firefighting other than an onboard extinguisher in there vehicle. Hopefully he will have a speedy recovery and others will learn from this................Hoser

grack

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for posting the more detailed story. I couldn't imagine why he "drove through fire" as the media stated several times.

HogDriver

Premium Subscriber
grack said:
Thanks for posting the more detailed story. I couldn't imagine why he "drove through fire" as the media stated several times.

...never believe anything you hear and only half of what you see!

car2back

Yeah, thanks for the story, he's a hero in my book!

As for LEOs with turnouts; I have a old set of pants and coat in my trunk; you never know....

Status
Not open for further replies.