Trooper Sruck During Stop

Status
Not open for further replies.

JESSERABBIT

From the Washington Times dated Wed April 30.

"A Virginia State Trooper was rear-ended after making a routine traffic stop around 1 a.m. Wednesday morning near the Chain Bridge Road exit on Westbound I-66. The crash, which is currently under investigation, caused the trooper's cruiser to burst into flames. The trooper was taken to a local hospital and his condition is not known at this time. The person who hit the cruiser was arrested, but there is no information if that person was hurt. Police have not released any names at this time."

Stick0413

Premium Subscriber
JESSERABBIT said:
From the Washington Times dated Wed April 30.

"A Virginia State Trooper was rear-ended after making a routine traffic stop around 1 a.m. Wednesday morning near the Chain Bridge Road exit on Westbound I-66. The crash, which is currently under investigation, caused the trooper's cruiser to burst into flames. The trooper was taken to a local hospital and his condition is not known at this time. The person who hit the cruiser was arrested, but there is no information if that person was hurt. Police have not released any names at this time."

I hope the trooper is ok. I am willing to bet that the cruiser was a good ol' Crown Vic. They are known to catch fire after being rear ended.

dow35

what about the guy that went to jail it may have been a honest mistake but they put him in jail anyway I wonder if he has a family or not maybe we give the police to much power

JESSERABBIT

I have since found out that the person who hit the Trooper's vehicle was charged with operating under the influnce. The Trooper had made a traffic stop. When struck, the Trooper's vehicle crashed into the rear of the vehicle he stopped. He pulled that driver out to safety. There was a fire. The report said that the Trooper did not survive after being taken to the hospital.

Stick0413

Premium Subscriber
dow35 said:
what about the guy that went to jail it may have been a honest mistake but they put him in jail anyway I wonder if he has a family or not maybe we give the police to much power

Well that comment is irrelevant since a post after yours says he was charged with DUI. You do realize that even hitting a trooper that is stopped is going to be at least wreckless driving and that wreckless driving is a jailable offense. I really don't see how it could even be an honest mistake because if the trooper had his overheads on he should have moved over into another lane or at the very least slowed down a considerable amount (move over or slow down is a VA law) so there is no excuse for hitting a patrol car with its lights on.

tuttleje

We should all take pride in our Virginia State Police

This is one courageous, dedicated Trooper. Even severely injured, he put his life in danger to save another.

Please, think about it before you make a negative post about the police. They put their life on the line every day to protect you and your property.

When you read this, stop for a second and say a prayer for the safety and welfare of those that serve.

The next life they save may very well be yours....

source: http://www.nbc4.com/news/16076929/detail.html

POSTED: 6:26 am EDT April 30, 2008
UPDATED: 4:50 pm EDT April 30, 2008

FAIRFAX, Va. -- A Virginia State Police trooper is recovering after saving himself and another person from his burning patrol car early Wednesday morning, authorities said.

At about 12:45 a.m., Trooper J.T. Mahalik stopped a westbound silver 2000 Toyota pickup truck on Interstate 66 east of Route 50 because of a window tint violation. Police said Mahalik was questioning the driver of the pickup truck, 24-year-old Chad E. Roger-Steven, in the front seat of his patrol car, a 2004 Ford Crown Victoria with lights activated, when a 2006 Saab crashed into the patrol car and the pickup truck.

The rear of the patrol car immediately caught fire, according to police. While suffering from spinal injuries and burns to his legs, Mahalik got out of the patrol car and made his way to the passenger side to remove Roger-Steven, who was unconscious.

Mahalik said he didn't realize he was hurt until after he rescued the passenger.

A trooper traveling east witnessed the crash and said the fire quickly spread.

"The valiant actions Trooper Mahalik took, in spite of his own injuries, and considering how quickly the fire spread, is incredible," said State Police Capt. Tracy Russillo. “His quick thinking and response ultimately saved his life and the person inside his car."

Both Roger-Steven and Mahalik were taken to Fairfax Hospital. Mahalik is in stable condition.

The driver of the Saab, 34-year-old David James Stout, was not injured. He was charged with driving under the influence. Investigators said he was driving 60 mph and fell asleep because he was intoxicated.

Last edited:

CalvinNutler

tuttleje said:
The next life they save may very well be yours....

source: http://www.nbc4.com/news/16076929/detail.html

POSTED: 6:26 am EDT April 30, 2008
UPDATED: 4:50 pm EDT April 30, 2008

FAIRFAX, Va. -- A Virginia State Police trooper is recovering after saving himself and another person from his burning patrol car early Wednesday morning, authorities said.

Mahalik got out of the patrol car and made his way to the passenger side to remove Roger-Steven, who was unconscious.

Mahalik said he didn't realize he was hurt until after he rescued the passenger.

"The valiant actions Trooper Mahalik took, in spite of his own injuries, and considering how quickly the fire spread, is incredible," said State Police Capt. Tracy Russillo. “His quick thinking and response ultimately saved his life and the person inside his car."

The driver of the Saab, 34-year-old David James Stout, was not injured. He was charged with DRIVING UNDER THE INFLUENCE. Investigators said he was driving 60 mph and FELL ASLEEP because he was INTOXICATED.

I pulled a few points out of this story to show dow35 how spot on he is. Dow when you are not busy perhaps you could pen a thesis on the ongoing problem of overpowering police arresting people for their honest mistakes.

MOTORHEAD3902

dow35 said:

It's all about the punctuation, Ted. All about the punctuation.
We feel your anger and indignation (google it), and it is duly noted.

LEH

Premium Subscriber
dow35 said:

First, ee cummings would be proud of your writing skills.

Second, could you elucidate on just how a person, driving their vehicle, could have made an HONEST mistake in rear ending a vehicle stopped on the side of the road, emergency lights flashing? I will give you a medical condition and DUI IS NOT a medical condition.

When you drive your vehicle your are responsible for maintaining control of that vehicle. Driving in such a manner as to drive into the rear of a vehicle in front of you is not maintaining that control.

My kudos to the trooper. Though I never hope to meet him professionally, he deserves the praise that is being given him.

As to the Crown Vic, what is it? An overgrown Pinto?

LEH

Premium Subscriber
MOTORHEAD3902 said:
Dear Heavens!!!!!
e e cummings!!!!!!!!!!! I hadn't thought of him in years...

Are we dating ourselves or has he become the SOL for English? :roll:

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
First, I'm glad the trooper and the other victim are recovering. Sounds like quite an experience... one I'm sure he wishes not to repeat.

Second.....

dow35 said:

I'll never understand why people are into this hobby and join this website if they do not like police or other public safety professionals. You had no information on the accident... your comment was offensive. And you stuck your foot in your mouth, didn't you?

Status
Not open for further replies.