Tropo Ducting or Meteor scattering?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbantennaman

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The last day, I have been able to receive signals from Clarksburgh WV, powerful enough to overide a signal from a class A television station - WTAJ in Altoona some 48 miles away.

The Television station in West Virginia is 120 miles away.

I live near Punxsutawney PA and am using a Winegard 8200U antenna and a Channel Master CM 7777 pre amp and a Channel Master CM 7000 converter box and a antenna rotor.

Stations of mention are - WDTV - channel 5 - 100% signal - 9 AM yesterday.
WVFX - 90% signal all day
WTRF - 90% signal all day
WBOY - 90% signal all day

I saw on the weather map last night that there was a boundry line that was from West Virginia that was reaching up into my part of Pennsylvania and I figure that the weather was bending the radio waves and ducting them into my location.

fineshot1

Well it is not meteor scatter as that is a very short duration event which could range from less than 1 second to about a few seconds or possibly a little longer.

Last edited:

kc2rgw

Premium Subscriber
Strong weather fronts can definitely cause VHF/UHF propagation. Inversions in the summer are almost a guarantee of a band opening as an example.

Exactly how it all works, I'm still plugging through that, but I am growing to really like 2m and think I'll be putting up a fairly serious antenna for it at some point.

clawhammer

TV Ducting

Thought things were strange when I was having a problem getting my local broadcast stations, the digital channels were breaking up so I turn my antenna to the northeast and did a rescan and was getting a few that were far enough that you should not be able to receive.before I list them let me tell you where I'm located, I live 30mi north of Tampa Fl and my antenna that I have is an older model from radio shack, I don't remember the name but it wa the 180 model for vhf/uhf and a pre-amp with it. hope that helps. ok here is what I got on Monday eveing. if anyone would like to see the photos I took with my camera jusk ask and I'll upload them.

CH-7 WSPA
CH-23 WRSE
CH-3 WEAR
CH-5 WKRG
CH-13 WLOX
CH-28 WGTS

jbantennaman

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Digital is a all or nothing proposition.

Either you have a perfect picture and sound or you have some sound and pixelation or you have nothing at all.

clawhammer

Digital TV

Digital is a all or nothing proposition.

Either you have a perfect picture and sound or you have some sound and pixelation or you have nothing at all.
Very true, it's there or it's not. since CH-6 WKMG in Orlando have reduce there power I can only receive them during the eveing hours since they are running only 944kw. if you want to look up your local stations a good site to look them up is at this url. TV Fool

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber

SCPD

QRT
the skip has been insane today.

Getting ALL DPS stations in South Texas and many in East Texas and Oklahoma. Got a Control channel on the Arkansas TRS. and made SEVERAL 2 meter contacts in Alabama, Tennessee, Georgia and South Texas all from inside the car mobile. Yeah, this is a Good December!

k9rzz

I don't think you can have an appreciable meteor scatter at UHF. It's best @ @ 50 mhz and drops as you go up in freq.

Status
Not open for further replies.