Tropo Skipping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryfly

Premium Subscriber
Does skipping happen much here? Just looked at the Trope ducting map. Does the Waves make it all the way into Colorado? Seems like they stay in the Ocean.

Any info on this would be great.

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
It's starting already...I heard someone's FD tones on 154.905 MHz today (on my Spectra). That is commonly used by CSP for a "statewide channel" for various uses. I'm not aware of any Colorado FDs using that frequency and I haven't searched the database yet (I didn't catch a call sign).

Troop

datainmotion said:
It's starting already...I heard someone's FD tones on 154.905 MHz today (on my Spectra). That is commonly used by CSP for a "statewide channel" for various uses. I'm not aware of any Colorado FDs using that frequency and I haven't searched the database yet (I didn't catch a call sign).

Craig CSP still uses tones for some pagers on State 3...everynow and then I can hear them if i'm in the right spot

comm_manager

I was working in our comm center several years ago on a spring night and had clear as crystal comms with AirLink dispatch in Scottsbluff, NE on Med 9. It lasted for about three hours and then faded out. Very interesting all the same, especially when you consider that it was a 175 mile hop with just 50 watts ERP. Haven't seen it since, but sure it is only a matter of time...Mike

kc0kp

Tropo ducting is very rare here. The weather elements needed for the ducting occurs often in the Midwest and East Coast. Due to the dry climate here, the duct usually ends in Kansas before it gets here. The enhanced path to Nebraska was probably one of the rare cases of ducting.
What happens here far more often is E layer skip. This is when the E layer of the ionosphere becomes ionized and becomes an efficient reflector on frequencies up into upper VHF. This usually occurs in spring and fall when the sunspot numbers are approaching their peaks. Solar flares are often followed by E-layer enhancement. We are now at the bottom or at the beginning of the 11 year solar activity cycle and sunspots are at a minimum.(Also known as solar minimum.) In a few years, E-layer skip will be a common occurrence. For now, it will be extremely sporadic.
I have personally seen television from Canada on channels 3 and 4 in an active spring. Low band channels from the east coast appear on an almost daily basis. Boston fire's low band VHF channel ( around 46Mhz, memory escapes me and it is off the air now anyway) was used as beacon and predictor of what may be coming on higher frequencies.
On 6 meters, when I first started, I had more countries (11) confirmed than I did states (4).

rfburns

Troop said:
Craig CSP still uses tones for some pagers on State 3..
When Craig uses Walton Peak it can usually be heard east of about Colorado Blvd in the Denver area. About a year ago Moffat County still had some pagers on State 3, but not the fire depts. They page out on two other VHF chs. (3 if you count the control station on Cedar Mtn.)

Status
Not open for further replies.