Tropospheric Ducting events...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Natchez area

Wow Troop J (Hattiesburg) is coming in tonight on the old scantenna as if they were local. Troop C (Jackson) also coming in to Natchez, but not quite as strong as Troop J. I don't think I've missed a called from Troop J for the last couple of hours.............pretty impressive for VHF lo band.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Believe it or not, Troop H (Meridian) is now coming in as if they were local. This is some good stuff....Lol

KE5TLF

I'm getting blown out by Santa Rosa to Bay, FL counties on the State Fire Mutual Aid freqs. Most MA freqs are shared throughout the region, not just our state BTW so they are good for catching and measuring condtions on. :)

Logging Tyndall AFB UHF TRS on and off too.

Ok so I got just about anything there it on VHF and UHF from Tangi Parish, LA to the west to Bay Co. FL to the east.

Last edited:

KE5TLF

Hey Hugh,

Does NTNP Rangers simulcast on both 163.025 and 162.1625? I'm getting strong reception on both freqs. simultaneously down here. Both are encrypted and having never heard them before I'm just wanting to be sure this is what I'm hearing and not some other "unknown". Also to 100% confirm these are still the freqs. in use by the NTNP Rangers given all the shakeup in general in the Federal bands in recent years.

Seems a bit of a stretch for me even for these conditions but it is some crazy ducting going on for sure. Usually my strongest ducting goes due east and west of my location.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Yea, that's going to be them on both freqs. and they do simulcast. That is pretty amazing.

SCPD

QRT
The Natchez Trace Parkway towers, in this part of the state, are located at Natchez, Port Gibson, Rocky Springs and Jackson. Of course, you could be getting a signal from as far away as Tupelo or even Nashville, with the atomosphere like it is....

Last edited:

KE5TLF

Yep it's been pretty wild these last few days and still more to come. :) Fun stuff, until it drives you crazy. LOL

SCPD

QRT
Incidentally, they only repeat the base signal on one freq. per tower. Meaning Natchez uses163.025, Port Gibson:162.1625, Rocky Springs:163.025, Jackson:162.1625...etc...so that means you're getting hits from two distinct towers, If you're recording both freqs.

KE5TLF

4/22/10 Seems there may be some good ducting conditions headed our way overnight and for the next couple of days or so. :)

KE5TLF

5/3/2010 Some pretty intense ducting underway right now.

I just copied traffic from NAS Meridian on 142.0250 047 DCS
also 142.3250 210.7 PL Camp Shelby Range Control traffic

Also have been copying traffic on the following frequencies. Location unknown.

140.7875 210.7 PL HVAC traffic
Building 233, Air handler # 4 locked out and tagged out.
meet at Cody Hall?

141.3375 210.7 PL Ground Control traffic

wonder if all 210.7 PL are Camp Shelby?

Last edited:

nexus

Cody Hall is on Keesler AFB. There's also Wolfe Hall, Alley Hall, Jones Hall, Thompson Hall, and Dolan Hall.

My dad taught GCCS (Global Command & Control Systems/Scope Control) now called GHFS in Wolfe Hall, and then Ground Radio in Jones Hall for a good 15 years. All of the Halls on Keesler are where all of the students learn their specialty.

There are tons of simplex non P25 traffic on keesler in the range of 138 to 144 mhz. and a few on repeaters. Security Forces, Medical, Flight Ops, Ground Ops, Crash/Fire, Command Post, AFOSI are probably the only ones currently using P25. Everyone one else is still using plain ole F3E.

KE5TLF

Thanks once again for the education. That info will surely come in handy at some point. :)

I searched around a bit and it seems there is a Cody Hall at Shelby too so...who knows. Just another small puzzle to solve and therein lies the fun. I just guessed Shelby since I was getting HUGE ducting from that direction for a while. :)

Is 210.7 pretty much standard PL for DOD like NAC 293 is?

Last edited:

KE5TLF

BTW we're in for some INTENSE ducting along the coast this week if the forecast comes true.

Not to shabby tonight either, I'm copying VHF traffic from Santa Rosa, County, FL to the East, St. Tamany Parish, LA to the west, and the NCBC Gulfport TRS is beaming in now too :D

and Stennis Space Center TRS...and NASA Michoud Facility TRS in NOLA :D

Last edited:

nexus

I spent some time on KAFB this morning after work running Close Call on my 996T and got these.

140.7875 Strong Simplex FM IDing HVAC 6 talking to HVAC 7

141.3375 Base Operations on Simplex FM using a Zetron controller (could hear the relays click when they keyed up) talking to Airfield 1 and a couple of other unknowns going through a repeater with the same output discussing activity on the flight line

142.6500 Flight Line Operations P25

166.2000 FM Repeater not sure where they're at but it was triggered from Close Call while driving around the base. two guys just talking about meeting at an unknown location.

I only spent about 45 minutes out there because I was real tired.

KE5TLF

Thanks a million for the feeback kind sir! :D

On the 141.3375 I was hearing a lot of runway access control type traffic the other day.

I have 166.200 on my list of totally "unknowns" as well. Haven't heard much on it and nothing that provides even a hint of it's usage. Now I know it's at (or near) KAFB at least. :)

nexus

I logged several others today while driving less than 1 mile from keesler. I left the list out in the car so I'll come back and post it. A lot of it was P25.
Any time someone has to move an aircraft from one spot to another, or if they have to break red or go into another part of the flight line they have to request authorization through base ops. base ops contacts security forces and lets them know that so-and-so is going to be moving along the restricted areas or flight line. Otherwise if the person didn't request and get permission before hand they might find themselves getting shot with an M-16. All movements are controlled on the tarmac and flight line, and deadly force is pre-authorized.

someone completely deleted all of the frequencies on here that I had posted years ago for KAFB. granted most of the frequencies have changed but it's difficult trying to guess this stuff again.

Last edited:

KE5TLF

8/24/10 - Some strong ducting underway tonight. I'm decoding MSWIN sites 90 plus miles away. :D

OK Up to 118 miles now, Decoding MSWIN site 236, Raleigh as I type this.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.