Trouble hearing anything in St. John Parish

Status
Not open for further replies.

som

Hey, all. First time poster here with a question. I live in LaPlace and I'm using a PRO-668. I think I've got a pretty good handle on it, though I'm still learning some of the intricacies. My question is this: I've programmed in and can hear several of the nearby agencies on the LWIN system (NOPD, St. Charles PD/FD, Causeway PD, etc.), but I've never once heard a transmission from any of the St. John the Baptist talkgroups. Can anyone else pick them up and, if so, what might I be doing wrong? If not, what's the issue with St. John?

Thanks, guys!

som

St. John is not on LWIN and they are encrypted. They are on a separate Tri-Parish System.

Thanks. I finally found the St. John - St. James - Ascension system not long after I initially posted.

It amazes me that Orleans Parish is mostly unencrypted, but a little podunk parish like St. John thinks they're so important that they need to encrypt their traffic. *rolls eyes*

Tim-B

That's one thing that frustrates me about a certain brand that mutes encrypted transmissions. How am I supposed to know it's encrypted unless you let me listen to the talkgroup and hear the digital "squiggly wiggly" sound of the encryption? I might think that I am just not receiving them at all. There should be an option to let the audio through no matter whati it is.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
That's one thing that frustrates me about a certain brand that mutes encrypted transmissions. How am I supposed to know it's encrypted unless you let me listen to the talkgroup and hear the digital "squiggly wiggly" sound of the encryption? I might think that I am just not receiving them at all. There should be an option to let the audio through no matter whati it is.

On the Unidens, you can prog in the TG, and when it is active, it will show the encryption. No audio, but you will see activity. And if your logging with say ProScan... You can review the logs and know whats going on as to is it being used at least...

Tim-B

I just discovered proscan a few days ago. Great software. I am definitely going to buy it. Right now I have it recording some unidentified talkgroups on LWIN in an effort to identify who uses them.

gpswx4cster

Come on guys. All I'm saying is that for a small rural parish they have a serious drug problem. This comes from their close proximity to a major metropolitan city. In my 30 years of State Law Enforcement, I was always surprised by the amount of crime occurring in the St. John region. This is probably their rationale in encrypting. I'm not completely sure but I think all of the law enforcement agencies on the Ascension SO system are encrypted.

The only reason you are hearing NOPD traffic is because of their need for transpercy. They do have a few talkgroups that are encrypted for special operations.

som

Come on guys. All I'm saying is that for a small rural parish they have a serious drug problem. This comes from their close proximity to a major metropolitan city. In my 30 years of State Law Enforcement, I was always surprised by the amount of crime occurring in the St. John region. This is probably their rationale in encrypting. I'm not completely sure but I think all of the law enforcement agencies on the Ascension SO system are encrypted.

The only reason you are hearing NOPD traffic is because of their need for transpercy. They do have a few talkgroups that are encrypted for special operations.

I understand. Why doesn't St. John have the same need for transparency though? Not doubting you, just curious.

gpswx4cster

NOPD is under a Federal dissent decree for openness to the public. Many problems with bad Officers and a few unjustified officer shootings in the past. The current Chief is trying to make the department better, but they are way understaffed and response times can be unbelievable at times.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Nola is the only of the sela parishes that does not use full time encryption on all le. Tgs

Sent from my LG-K330 using Tapatalk

som

Nola is the only of the sela parishes that does not use full time encryption on all le. Tgs

Sent from my LG-K330 using Tapatalk

I dunno. I just spent all day listening to East Baton Rouge police talkgroups. Sure, some of it was encrypted, but a lot - especially dispatch - wasn't.

Strangest thing I heard all day? Some guy exposing himself on the University of Phoenix campus on Acadian.

Status
Not open for further replies.