trouble locating frequencies for scout camps

vp7759

Hello, Im currently trying to locate the frequencies for a scouts bsa camp (boy scouts) and i can’t find anything on ULS or the reference data base. the camp is located in frankton indiana and i’m visiting there this weekend for an event and would like to listen to their traffic. if anyone has any information on this, that would be greatly appreciated! the name of the camp is Camp Kikthawenund if someone knows what i’m talking about or has heard of this camp.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Welcome to the RR forums. I did a maprad.io proximity search and am not seeing a fixed base at the camp. If I were you I'd check common & itinerant frequencies if you know for a fact they're using land mobile radios. I've got them all programmed into search banks/favorites lists on several of my radios and have achieved good results nailing down low power simplex users. They could also be leasing radios & repeater(s) from a radio shop. They could be utilizing one of the digital modes (perhaps DMR?) so ensure your receiver supports it to cover that possibility

Check also:
FRS & MURS channels

Last edited:

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
BSA used to have thier own stuff. They now run on SMR and GMRS/FRS .

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

vp7759

It's most likely they are using GMRS/FRS or itinerant freqs, but it's also a great idea to use close call and band search in v & u.

You can also tell a lot by the type of radios they use.

they seemed to be using motorola CP200’s with the short VHF band antennas. our council uses those for the camps (belzer, ransburg, kik)
had no luck testing the belzer and ransburg frequencies, though im pretty sure they use CTCSS tone of 210.7 just like ransburg does.
i’ll keep digging!