Trouble programming Baofeng UV-5R to CPD channels

Status
Not open for further replies.

brianleska138

Premium Subscriber
Hello. until recently I have been unable to program the baofeng UV-5R to communicate with CPD frequencies. Does anyone know of any changes to the system would would prevent communication that occurred in about the last month? I read that the system has transitioning to 800MHZ, and although I really don't what that means, it may be what's creating my problem. I use use CHIRP and upload an .IMG file with the frequencies for the different channels we use. Also, I receive an error stating: UPLOAD FINISHED, BUT THE 'OTHER SETTINGS' COULD NOT BE SENT BECAUSE THE FIRMWARE VERSION OF THE IMAGE (BFS311 BSF297) DOES NOT MATCH THAT O THE RADIO (N5R-20 BFB297 ).I apologize if my problem may be confusing as i am not familiar with the terminology or technology of what I'm attempting to trouble shoot. I cannot hear or transmit on any of the channels. i really appreciate any advice. Thank you.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
CPD who? You posted in the wrong place "This forum is for questions about the database such as how to use it, layout or usability issues or suggestions for improvement. It is not for pointing out wrong information or getting help with programming."

brianleska138

Premium Subscriber
CHICAGO police department. What forum will I have to post to in order to get help?

N5JMC

Hello. until recently I have been unable to program the baofeng UV-5R to communicate with CPD frequencies. Does anyone know of any changes to the system would would prevent communication that occurred in about the last month? I read that the system has transitioning to 800MHZ, and although I really don't what that means, it may be what's creating my problem. I use use CHIRP and upload an .IMG file with the frequencies for the different channels we use. Also, I receive an error stating: UPLOAD FINISHED, BUT THE 'OTHER SETTINGS' COULD NOT BE SENT BECAUSE THE FIRMWARE VERSION OF THE IMAGE (BFS311 BSF297) DOES NOT MATCH THAT O THE RADIO (N5R-20 BFB297 ).I apologize if my problem may be confusing as i am not familiar with the terminology or technology of what I'm attempting to trouble shoot. I cannot hear or transmit on any of the channels. i really appreciate any advice. Thank you.

Just curious why you'd want to transmit on their frequencies. Pretty sure that's ILLEGAL.

joeuser

The Wretched
He may just want to listen but I doubt they would use freqs like that anymore. In retrospect, you should be able to find VHF/UHF freqs in the database. Just drill down starting with your state.

No there has been no system changes. I still hear CPD on the UHF channels when there is ducting going on :). I dont know about the 800MHz system because I am too far away to pick it up to hear the CPD. I know CPD uses 800MHz for the marine boats. But all CPD ops are still on UHF. It is in the database under Cook County. Here is the link to what I am talking about.

Chicago Public Safety and Services Trunking System, Chicago, Illinois - Scanner Frequencies

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
He may just want to listen but I doubt they would use freqs like that anymore. In retrospect, you should be able to find VHF/UHF freqs in the database. Just drill down starting with your state.

I have been unable to program the baofeng UV-5R to communicate with CPD frequencies.

I cannot hear or transmit on any of the channels. i really appreciate any advice. Thank you.

Looks pretty plain to me. He bought a Baofeng radio and intends to transmit on police frequencies.

Remember, FCC and police investigators read these forums too. You might as well just sign a confession, and anyone who assists him could be an accessory.

Looks pretty plain to me. He bought a Baofeng radio and intends to transmit on police frequencies.

Remember, FCC and police investigators read these forums too. You might as well just sign a confession, and anyone who assists him could be an accessory.

The orginal OP asked how to program his radio and I am pretty sure he knows better than to tranmit on police freqs. I told him that the CPD is on UHF.

N5JMC

I read it the same way. He stated he can not hear or transmit on the frequencies.

JoeyC

CHICAGO police department. What forum will I have to post to in order to get help?

You don't need any forum. Just call the Chicago Police Department, and tell them what your intentions are, give them your address and phone number, and they will be happy to assist you. I've looked up the number for you - 312-746-6000.

You don't need any forum. Just call the Chicago Police Department, and tell them what your intentions are, give them your address and phone number, and they will be happy to assist you. I've looked up the number for you - 312-746-6000.

Did you get the radio programmed brianleska138? This is what he said.
different channels we use

WB4CS

... I read that the system has transitioning to 800MHZ, and although I really don't what that means...

I apologize if my problem may be confusing as i am not familiar with the terminology or technology of what I'm attempting to trouble shoot.

When it comes to programming a radio to transmit on public service frequencies, those two statements are usually a dead giveaway that someone is attempting to do something they're not authorized to do.

If they were authorized to use (transmit) on the frequencies, they wouldn't need to ask an online forum. The person that granted authorization should be able to help them program their radio.

CapStar362

LOL!!

the very first line and sentence indicates trouble to me.....

"Hello. until recently I have been unable to program the baofeng UV-5R to communicate with CPD frequencies."

doesn't this forum have critical data on all users already? a phone call could solve this :)

what "channels we use" is he referring to ? is he someone of LEO Status?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.