Trouble programming Kenwood TK-2107 hand held

Status
Not open for further replies.

UFEMTFF

Feed Provider
A friend of mine just got his Kenwood TK-2107 off eBay. It feels really cheap and we had the hardest time programming it. I finally figured out that we needed an old computer, so we plugged it into an old 386 or 486 running windows 3.1. That worked, now it gets to 100% and says "Programming Complete". But, we still can't seem to get it to rx or tx on any of the channels. If you go to the desired channel, and hold the squelch button, it will open up and you can hear the transmissions. But, no matter what we set the squelch at (0-9), you can not hear anything unless you hit the button.

Does this sound like we have a defective radio, or should I assume since this is a Singapore radio and weighs less than a minitor III that it by nature alone is crappy?

Thanks for any help.

traumacop

Premium Subscriber
You say that
can not hear anything unless you hit the button

Sounds like there is a PL on the receive. You may be hitting a button programmed for monitor that drops the PL guard that allows you to hear the transmission.

But, we still can't seem to get it to rx or tx on any of the channels
Maybe your transmitting, but you your not hearing because of the above.

UFEMTFF

Feed Provider
rescuecomm said:
Try to do a read or import using the software. That will confirm the load.
THe load is confirmed, we are able to read from the unit.

UFEMTFF

Feed Provider
traumacop said:
Sounds like there is a PL on the receive. You may be hitting a button programmed for monitor that drops the PL guard that allows you to hear the transmission.

Maybe your transmitting, but you your not hearing because of the above.
We have the PL set for both Tx and Rx. The funny thing is, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't (after certain loads).

kg4uad

Tk-2107

Sounds like either the radio is damaged or you have a copy of corrupted software, try to uninstall the software completely and reinstall- that has helped me in the past. Id still put my money on a radio issue though

klowe

Kenwood TK 2107

I have a member that also purchased one of these on Ebay. I also noticed the weight of the radio, the battery included is only a 600mAh battery. If you get a KNB-15A you will see where the additional weight is in the battery this battery is 1100mAh.

I have also found you can use about any machine to program this radio. I used a brand new notebook with XP Pro when I programmed it for my member. The catch is running the KPG55D program in compatability mode of Windows 95. I have also found it works on the other DOS based programs for Kenwood.
As far as the Monitor button having to be pressed to hear anything you might want to check the key assignment and set it to SQ off Momentary This unit is woking fine with this setting.

UFEMTFF said:
A friend of mine just got his Kenwood TK-2107 off eBay. It feels really cheap and we had the hardest time programming it. I finally figured out that we needed an old computer, so we plugged it into an old 386 or 486 running windows 3.1. That worked, now it gets to 100% and says "Programming Complete". But, we still can't seem to get it to rx or tx on any of the channels. If you go to the desired channel, and hold the squelch button, it will open up and you can hear the transmissions. But, no matter what we set the squelch at (0-9), you can not hear anything unless you hit the button.

Does this sound like we have a defective radio, or should I assume since this is a Singapore radio and weighs less than a minitor III that it by nature alone is crappy?

Thanks for any help.

UFEMTFF

Feed Provider
klowe said:
I have a member that also purchased one of these on Ebay. I also noticed the weight of the radio, the battery included is only a 600mAh battery. If you get a KNB-15A you will see where the additional weight is in the battery this battery is 1100mAh.

I have also found you can use about any machine to program this radio. I used a brand new notebook with XP Pro when I programmed it for my member. The catch is running the KPG55D program in compatability mode of Windows 95. I have also found it works on the other DOS based programs for Kenwood.
As far as the Monitor button having to be pressed to hear anything you might want to check the key assignment and set it to SQ off Momentary This unit is woking fine with this setting.
We actually got the radio working. The battery seemed to be the problem. On a good long overnight charge, re-program and we were off.

x5150x

I need some help with my newly purchased TK-2107. I have the KPG55D software and am running it on Windows XP. When I run the program it goes into DOS mode and runs fine. The problem is that I get errors when I try to read or write from/to the radio. The error says it can't open the COM2. I have only COM1 (I believe) on my computer. When I access the COM setup from the menu it lists COM1 and COM2 at the same time and won't let me change either! I am very frustrated!

Also, the guy who sent me the radio provided a disk full of programming software and told me to use the KPG87D...which, I gather from here, is wrong!

Please help!

KE7TJK

x5150x said:
I need some help with my newly purchased TK-2107. I have the KPG55D software and am running it on Windows XP. When I run the program it goes into DOS mode and runs fine. The problem is that I get errors when I try to read or write from/to the radio. The error says it can't open the COM2. I have only COM1 (I believe) on my computer. When I access the COM setup from the menu it lists COM1 and COM2 at the same time and won't let me change either! I am very frustrated!

Also, the guy who sent me the radio provided a disk full of programming software and told me to use the KPG87D...which, I gather from here, is wrong!

Please help!

Sounds like you need to find an old 386 or 486 computer to run the software. Your XP machine is likely too fast for the radio to recognize the software. Also, opening a DOS window in XP will not provide a direct link to COM1 or COM2. I experienced the exact same problems when programming older Motorola equipment, until I aquired an old 386 laptop. Now programming runs perfectly every time.

x5150x

I just got it to work! I am running my XP and when I clicked on "ignore" for the error window it worked fine! I think it found COM1 but couldn't find COM2 and stopped...ignoring it allowed it to continue on with the programming. It also took a couple of "communication errors" (just click "retry") but eventually made it to 100%.

Does anyone know what the "BSY" and "SHFT" are for? They are in the same line for programming channel TX/RX freq and QT tones.

Is there a way to get the TK-2107 to scan? What about assigning a priority channel?

Thanks for the help!

jachalynmines

In referance to the programming cable, where can I get one, or how can I make one ? We are a very remote company, and need comms from both high and low elevations.

Thanks,

Chas

UFEMTFF

Feed Provider
jachalynmines said:
In referance to the programming cable, where can I get one, or how can I make one ? We are a very remote company, and need comms from both high and low elevations.

Thanks,

Chas
I'm sorry, I was only working on this with a friend. He bought his radio and cable from a single eBay auction.

Status
Not open for further replies.