Trouble receiving Riverside City Fire Dept frequencies

AM909

Radio/computer geek
Premium Subscriber
2 miles, and line of sight? Like somewhere in the developed area near Sunnymead Ranch & Heacock? While I don't remember the neighborhood exactly, I have been around the site and my recollection is that you would not be able to hide from a transmitter on the top Box Springs site.

There is, however, a site further down the ridge about 150' lower in elevation, to the northwest over near the CSUSB "C", with some city licenses, including this trunked system with a medium-power 100WERP license WQYU747, which may have some earth between you and it and be hard to hear. Can you hear that trunk's control channel? I heard it from quite some distance on 774.40625 a number of times last year. If what you're trying to hear is down at that city site, that might explain it.

Here's a 0.3-mile-radius search for other UHF stuff that might be at that lower site.

blogan52

Premium Subscriber
interesting graphic.... IDK, though. @1942LA brought a handheld over and we were able to get good signal, so we have kind of narrowed it down to possibly needing to upgrade the coax from the antenna to the scanner..... will keep you posted...

PaulNDaOC

Any chance they are using one of the other sites they are licensed for. Might be a site issue.

1942LA

Any chance they are using one of the other sites they are licensed for. Might be a site issue.
Hi Paul,

We're looking at a (most likely) antenna issue. I'm going to head back over to B's next week. I have a bunch of new coax & connectors. Keeping our fingers crossed that should do the trick.

PaulNDaOC

Hi Paul,

We're looking at a (most likely) antenna issue. I'm going to head back over to B's next week. I have a bunch of new coax & connectors. Keeping our fingers crossed that should do the trick.
I hope it is an easy fix. Just FYI, I am receiving dispatch full quieting in Norco.

tkenny53

One thing about RFD, it is very very low audio, if in the car, driving, it is almost not even there. It is hard hear them if my scanner is set to listen to CHP, I cant do both.

1942LA

*Update* Had some coax issues. Channel 1 still coming in weak. Coax issue taken care of. I'll be back out on Sunday (weather permitting.) We will also be testing a tuned antenna.

AM909

Radio/computer geek
Premium Subscriber
@1942LA brought a handheld over and we were able to get good signal
Try the handheld's antenna on the BCT15X? I don't have specs handy, but it shouldn't be more than a couple dB diff in sensitivity from whatever the handheld was since the BCT15X is reasonably modern equipment, right?

If the BCT15X hears it with the (indoor) handheld antenna, then it's def an antenna system prob.

If the BCT15X doesn't hear in the same spot as the handheld did hear with the same antenna, it's a BCT15X problem. Any chance the programming on it got changed to enable an attenuator on that channel (if it has one), or wideband?

1942LA

It's strictly an antenna issue. The only way to receive Channel 1 is with an outdoor antenna. We're still working on it.