Trouble Scanning Roanoke\Franklin P25 with TRX 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jvell1

I recently purchased a Whistler TRX 1. I reside in Roanoke county so the Roanoke/Franklin P25 system is the primary system in my area. I have programmed a couple of talk groups, and cannot receive any communications what so ever. I know the problem is confined to the TRX 1 because I also own a Pro 106 and receive communication normally. Can any one make any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong, or as far as monitoring this system with the TRX 1 did I purchase a $500 paper weight?

Thanks

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
It could be a distance issue. I was visiting with a friend who lives off Orange Ave. just outside of Vinton and picking it up great...maybe even better than the Roanoke trunk. Haven't tried it from closer to Franklin Co, but LSM could be an issue at your location. TRX worked well for me on most everything I tried, including the WV SIRN network. BTW, give it try on NXDN on 161.07 and see what you think

73/Allen (N4JRI)

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
Make sure you program it with each site on its own and add wildcards in addition to all the TGs you want. You definitely want wildcards for Franklin. Its a new system and there are TGs that aren't in the DB yet.
These newer RS/Whistler scanners no longer have "Check all CCs" as an option. That means if you import the system it will lock onto one of the sites but won't scan the other.

Duplicate the system and then make sure both are turned on. I have it split Roanoke Only in one list and Franklin only in another then check both to scan when I'm down there.

Also I'd put a good antenna on it and not use the factory one. The RS 800 works great for it and covers VHF/UHF excellent as well.

kb4cvn

Silent Key
Nowhere near a paved road, away from the maddening
Wildcards

Make sure you program it with each site on its own and add wildcards in addition to all the TGs you want. You definitely want wildcards for Franklin. Its a new system and there are TGs that aren't in the DB yet.

As a matter of practice on new systems, I load about a dozen or so additional talkgroups into my (commercial) radios for hunting new groups.

IE: If the Sheriff is on group 100, and uses 110, I will load everything from 100 to 120 into memory and scan. Often this bit of extra works pays off.

My humble 2¢ worth....

kcamper1969

for all those out there who cannot pick up roanoke county, franklin county, and soon to switch (salem)....they are now encrypting their traffic. salem will be the last to do so. they will be merging with roanoke county and will be doing a major upgrade and joining county in early Feb 2019...roanoke city still currently uses the same freq's (800mhz) that they have had for some years now. good luck

kcamper1969

From listening to several handhelds, it's everything in rke county. City is still using the same frequencies though with the same NAC (341).

ill pass more info as it becomes available

JSsignal16

Premium Subscriber
I'm still hearing Roanoke county Fire and Rescue on the internet feed. So at least they are still in the clear.

soccer1886

Roanoke County Police is the only encryption in Roanoke at the moment. So you can still pick up Roanoke County EMS/Fire/Public works etc..., same goes for Franklin County Police also are the only encryption in Franklin's system. You can also still get Rocky Mount Police, they aren't using the trunk system.

N4ANJ

Premium Subscriber
Franklin County Sheriffs is mostly encrypted. TGID's 420 "Control" and 435 "Jail" are in the clear. They are not used much. Rocky Mount Police ARE ON the trunked P25 phase 2 system. Rocky Mount Police "Dispatch" is in the clear but TGID's 443 " "Tac 1" and 445 "Tac 2" are encrypted. The Tac channels are used extensively.

Status
Not open for further replies.