Trouble updating firmware 996XT

Status
Not open for further replies.

geoff5093

I've read the Wiki and a few threads here about other people having problems, but I didn't find anything that helped. The problem is that when I try to update the scanner using the Uniden software, it says that it failed and to try again (which I did several times).

The scanner is off when I turn on my laptop (XP Pro SP3). I then connect the scanner to the laptop using the serial cable and a serial-to-usb adapter. I turn the scanner on while holding down L/O and 6, and the backlight turns blue with no text. I then try to run the update and it says connecting, but when it fails when it tries to upload the new firmware.

The COM port is correct. I use the same laptop, cable, and adapter to upload my FreeSCAN files with no issues. I've tried different ways such as connecting the laptop when the scanner is already on, without any luck.

Any ideas?

MarkWestin

Did you remove the firmware file ( .scn extension) from the .zip file? Other than drivers, that is the only thing I can think of off hand.

Mark

Tryton

I don't know how much help I can be, but are you plugging in the usb cable into the same port? that will change the comm # if you do.. the other thing I would do is lower the port speed to the lowest (both in the scanner + the advanced tab under comm ports in the driver.

geoff5093

Did you remove the firmware file ( .scn extension) from the .zip file? Other than drivers, that is the only thing I can think of off hand.

Mark
Yes, I unzip both the firmware and the app. I tried running it from the desktop as well as the Program Files folder. I can select the firmware just fine, I leave "Major Firmware" unchecked.

I don't know how much help I can be, but are you plugging in the usb cable into the same port? that will change the comm # if you do.. the other thing I would do is lower the port speed to the lowest (both in the scanner + the advanced tab under comm ports in the driver.
I tried plugging it into the same USB port, and I tried another. The app seems to autodetect because it was changing the default port as I changed the adapter to various USB ports.

I tried the slower port speed in the app, but I didn't change anything in the scanner. I'll give that a try when I get home from work.

MarkWestin

Freescan may require a newer version of the driver for the USB-1 cable than the Uniden update program requires. This is due to a requirement in a Microsoft library which Freescan uses. The Uniden program (and the ARC software) won't work with the newest (that I know of) Prolific driver for the USB-1. You may have to get the USB-1 drivers from Uniden's web site to make the transfer program work, and then Freescan won't work until you reinstall the newer drivers. Hopefully, Prolific (makes the chipset in the USB-1 cable) will release a new driver soon to address this problem.

Mark

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
If memory serves, Assaf has an updated set of Prolific drivers on his website. However, there may well be even newer ones, so it would pay to look around 73 Mike

randybcd396t

Premium Subscriber
Are you going through a USB hub? I've been able to eliminate problems like this by by passing the hub and going directly into a USB port on the PC.

XTS3000

A friend somehow hard bricked his 396XT. I thought it was impossable to brick these things, but dam I was wrong. We tried 5 computers, including the computer I upgraded MY 396XT the previous day. Probably tried 20-30 times on various computers, no luck. Back to Uniden.....

bwreaves

Premium Subscriber
Any luck resolving you issues with updating your 996XT? I'm having the same problem. I've tried various com ports, made sure everything was correct and still cant get the darn thing to upload the firmware. I don't have any issued connecting any other time using ARC. And yes, after a complete and frustrating search, I can confirm that the 996XT does not have batteries! LOL.

If anyone else is having problems or has some ideas, please throw some out there.

dxradio2003

Firmware Update Issue

Hi,

I had to uninstall the downloader software version 2.0.0.7 and install previous version 2.0.0.3 and then update the new firmware in the normal manner. This fixed my issue where I could not upgrade to the new firmware.

---dxradio2003

randybcd396t

Premium Subscriber
Hi,

I had to uninstall the downloader software version 2.0.0.7 and install previous version 2.0.0.3 and then update the new firmware in the normal manner. This fixed my issue where I could not upgrade to the new firmware.

---dxradio2003

I had the same experience with my BCD396T and later with my BCD396XT. I could not install any firmware updates to the scanners, but multiple scanner software programs worked just fine. After downgrading to the old version of the downloader I've had no trouble installing firmware updates.

This issue only effects a few of us, so there must be something we have in common with our PC configuration. I'm using a Fujitsu notebook PC running the Vista Home OS.

Last edited:

bwreaves

Premium Subscriber
I got it figured out. Operating on Vista, I had to shut down any extra applications running in the background, including my wireless connection and sidebar. I set the baud rate at the slowest setting and it transferred without a problem.

K7CAR

I had similar issues last night when I did the update. I remember seeing this post last week that the base/mobile scanners don't have batteries. On my Update Troubleshooting for my BCT15X it says....."Follow these tips to troubleshoot any update problem you encounter: * When prompted, be sure to turn off the scanner, remove the batteries, and hold down both the L/O and 6 buttons while plugging in the AC adapter. The backlight should come on and remain on until the end of the update" I was thinking maybe my scanner has a couple internal batteries to keep memory or had something to do with the firmware??? I almost tore into my scanner, but remembered this post, so THANKYOU.

My first try everything went smoothly till the very end then I got a checksum error message saying to try a slower baud rate. Did that at the next slower speeds and nothing. Now I have a brick. Read about problems with new/old drivers with the USB-9 adapter, so started to canvas the forum for answers. Found that others are having driver issues, so removed my generic USB-9 adapter and installed the new Prolific adapter that I had ordered. Nothing! I got an error message right away without it even uploading.

BTW, my generic USB-9 adapter has been working perfect from the get go, so beats me. I was about to give up when I decided to swap USB ports on the back of my PC. While I was mucking around back there I saw I have a serial port!......For the life of me I could have swore I didn't have a serial port on this PC. I hooked up the Uniden serial cord directly and held my breath and all is well in the Scanning world again!....

I know this doesn't really address the posters problem, but does show there is a conflict with the USB-9 adapter some where. This scanner is going to be the death of me and I've only had it 2.5 weeks. :)

johnwalker1

Uniden BC796D firmware update issue

Well I am having the same issue.

I am trying to update the firmware for re-banding.

I cannot find any older firmware updates as it was suggested previous.
I have BC796D_V3_6_0. and BC-VUP_2.0.0.7

I can run ARC250 fine and read everything.

This darn thing wont upload and I have a dedicated com port !
I tried all baud rates too, I wonder if changing stop bit or parity would help ??

XP SP3

This is a simple task and it wont connect !!

Suggestions ??

John

Status
Not open for further replies.