• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Trouble using Tone->DTCS & DTCS->Tone

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrLoomis1978

I'm using two Baofeng UV-82HP's and just tried to use the Tone->DTCS & DTCS->Tone options. After programming them manually, and then through CHIRP, neither way works. The receiving radio lights up so it knows a signal is coming through, but no audio can be heard. Same happens no matter which radio I use to TX/RX with. If the option is there, it should work, but it doesn't. If anyone has the answer I'd love to hear it because I'm totally confused. Thank you in advance.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Use one or the other. You're broadcasting a DCS code to a radio expecting to receive a tone, or vice versa. It's not going to work.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Pretty hard to tell without seeing your settings. The CCR are a pain when it comes to setting DCS or CTCSS. Probably a wrong tone which is the usual cause. Never sure why one wants to use CTCSS and DCS. Just complicates an already complicated set up.

DrLoomis1978

Thank you both for the quick responses. I figured that kind of setup was a little weird but wanted to try it out since it's an option using chirp. I was just curious, but, it's nothing important to me as I already use DCS with DCS and CTCSS with CTCSS and they work just fine so I'm happy.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
If I remember correctly, those settings provide for TONE encode / DCS decode or vice versa. Why would you want/need to do that between two handheld radios? If you're looking to minimize annoying interference, just use CTCSS on both radios or DCS on both radios. No need to mix these two different methods.

John AC4JK

DrLoomis1978

Okay, I figured it out. In order for you to use a mix of DCS and CTCSS you can only use two radios. Any more than two and it will not work. Using Chirp you need to program radio A with a DCS TX (ex: 223) and a CTCSS RX (ex: 110.9) making sure Tone Mode says CROSS and Cross Mode says DTCS->TONE. Radio B has to be programmed opposite. You'll need to program CTCSS TX (110.9) and DCS RX (223). Tone Mode still says CROSS but Cross Mode now says TONE->DTCS. Throw in a third radio and it won't work. Which settings would you use? You'd only be able to hear one of the other radios. Obviously this is not very practical for two way communication, too annoying to bother with, and pretty much useless. I was just determined to figure out why Baofeng and Chirp offered this as an option and whether or not it served a purpose. Well, the answer is... not really.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Like I said, you'd NEVER use that combination of settings on simplex.

You could use it on a repeater, where all the radios are talking to the repeater, and not to each other. But most people just use the same code/tone on input and output for simplicity.

Sconnick

I was just determined to figure out why Baofeng and Chirp offered this as an option and whether or not it served a purpose. Well, the answer is... not really.

As Jon mentioned, it makes little sense in a simplex system, but in a system using a repeater, it's fine. There are a number of law enforcement agencies in my immediate area - Westchester County, NY - that use a combination of PL and DPL (like a PL to get into the repeater, and a DPL to receive from the repeater).

Status
Not open for further replies.