Trouble With My Pro-2052

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClayTwpBuff

I’m trying to put my scanner in my vehicle and I cannot receive anything. I have it running off a DC cigarette plug and it has power. I have a 3 foot antenna on my roof running to the BNC connector on the back of the scanner, but I cannot receive anything unless I hold my scanner up to the window. Anyone know why this is happening?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I'm assuming here that previously you didn't have to hold it up to a window - did you have some work done in that area of your home?

With the age of that radio, at least one of the culprits might be the RF or IF amp. A crappy antenna connection can't be ruled out either. Time to retire it and get a BCT15X which will get everything that 2052 could, and more

Mike

krokus

Premium Subscriber
A three foot antenna doesn't tell us which freq range the antenna is made to cover.

Does the scanner receive signals with another?

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Has the scanner been programmed for your area? Does it work in the house with the stock antenna?

ClayTwpBuff

A three foot antenna doesn't tell us which freq range the antenna is made to cover.

The antenna on my vehicle covers

I don’t know exactly what it is made to cover, I was given the antenna my a friend of mine who used it on his vehicle for fire dept use and it worked fine. I’m using it for the same purpose. The scanner works perfectly find intill I put it in my vehicle, no matter what antenna I try it doesn’t want to work. Could it be the metal vehicle itself messing with the antenna/scanner?

danesgs

If you are using an external mobile antenna as stated, and it its connected to the radio but hears nothing unless you have to lift the radio towards the window, its a coax problem with the external antenna. Try using a back of set antenna on the 2052 in the vehicle. If that works without lifting it then its the coax, if not, its the connector on the back of the radio.

digitalanalog

I have 3 of these I use for milair scanning.

Not sure i would ever consider using one in a mobile application.
these are Base/Desktop scanners and I don't think they would hold
up very good with all the road vibrations.

Not to mention you will need to make a custom mount
there are no mounting bracket locations on this scanner.

Plenty of mobile scanners out there, but this is not a mobile scanner.

Radio Shack Pro-2052
RadioShack_-_PRO-2052.jpg

CycleSycho

Plenty of mobile scanners out there, but this is not a mobile scanner.

:) Ppl use all kinds of 120v things in vehicles, they use a thing called an inverter. It turns 12vdc to 120vac. I am pretty sure he wasn't using gorilla glue to mount it, setting it on anything would suffice (like a console or rear cabin if a tractor trailer tractor. I wouldn't suggest setting it on a dash or anywhere it might fly around if the vehicle is moving though. :)

digitalanalog

:) Ppl use all kinds of 120v things in vehicles, they use a thing called an inverter. It turns 12vdc to 120vac. I am pretty sure he wasn't using gorilla glue to mount it, setting it on anything would suffice (like a console or rear cabin if a tractor trailer tractor. I wouldn't suggest setting it on a dash or anywhere it might fly around if the vehicle is moving though. :)

No, you would not use an inverter, this is NOT a 120v "THING".
They make 12 vdc cigarette adapters that would work,

Remember these use a "wall wert" or "power cube" or what else people choose
to call them but they are Transformers, changing 120vac to 12 vdc.

I just think the OP would be better off with a mobile or even a handheld scanner.

In today's vehicles there would be no where to put a Base scanner
for the most part.

CycleSycho

No, you would not use an inverter, this is NOT a 120v "THING".
They make 12 vdc cigarette adapters that would work,

Remember these use a "wall wert" or "power cube" or what else people choose
to call them but they are Transformers, changing 120vac to 12 vdc.

I just think the OP would be better off with a mobile or even a handheld scanner.

In today's vehicles there would be no where to put a Base scanner
for the most part.

:) Try again, ahhhh, never mind, it isn't worth it. :)

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin

CycleSycho

Maybe you ought to "try again", since you don't seem to have the facts concerning this scanner. The PRO-2052 natively runs on 12 VDC, not 120 VAC. It's all right there on Page 10 of the manual "Using Your Vehicle’s Battery Power"

:) Thank you for your post. For the purpose of giving you a few facts, I found that out about the 2052 after his post. Since you jumped on my post, I was referring to his prose and his opinion about what others should have in their vehicles. Again, appreciate your listing the .pdf (as I never owned this model) about the 2052. I can appreciate seeing that the 2052 CAN be used in a vehicle as written in the manual (BUT not limited to an emergency if need be). BTW, many 'things' can be used in vehicles with inverters. In fact, most vehicles now do not come with cigarette lighter sockets, but have an inverter as an installed item. Then the proverbial wall WART could be used IF the owner didn't wish to hack into the wiring for a 12vdc source. I didn't choose to limit my original reply to the 2052 with my 'thing(s)' comment. :)

:) Not going to 'try' here in this post any more, capishe? :)

w4esp

I’d try a rubber duck antenna with the local weather channel, sound like antenna, if still no joy, could be a broken solder contact or we did have an issue with IF ic, It could also have drifted off freq, those are good scanners, cover mil air and scans fast, plus runs well on scan cat.

danesgs

Don't think the ops problem is so complex. It works inside but not in his car. I think he can figure it out, He was just wanting some advice. He got it.

Status
Not open for further replies.