Trouble with Raspberry PI and SDR stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Your_account

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
So a friend of mine who is Radio Amateur use his Pi2 with the SDR Stuff (to).
He make a packed who allow me to use the SDR Stuff without install anything.
I tried it out several years before but my Lan Speed Pc was not fast enough so the dident work.
Now many thinks are different I got an Glas Fibercable and my office is not in the Basement.

So now I will use the SDR over network stuff. For test purpose I grabbed my Pi2 with his image and put it behind my UPC System (to avoid any problems with an noisy Powerline) and fire it up.
I use just an ordinary SDR Dongle not that shiny new low drift stuff.... and the small Chinese 433Mhz Antenna.
So what I get is this:
attachment.php

So I put some other SDR Dongle on my Laptop (who is 10m away) and put the professional 400Mhz Band Antenna ~1m away from the other Dongle and what do i see?
Nothing! No Peaks no noise NOTHING!!!!

So what is wrong with the Pi2 (Setup) ????!!!!!
I will use the Antenna who are on my Attic/ Roof connected to an SDR Dongle and use down in my office....

Attachments

• afu.jpg
    afu.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 525

mancow

Database Admin
An external antenna is what I would suggest. Something up on the roof or attic. Reduce the gain as well. That receive level appears to be way too high.

Your_account

Banned
The Antenna is exact the same I use on my Laptop and the SDR also the Gain.
EDIT: Now I put the Antenna for Test Purpuse outside and the problem are still there.

Attachments

• noise.jpg
    noise.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:

Your_account

Banned
but there are still there thats the airband where is less noise. On the 400Mhz Band the noise is INSANE!

boatbod

How close is the dongle to the pi? I'd recommend a uab extension cord to separate the two by a good long distance.

cg

Premium Subscriber
be sure it is the Pi and not the power supply. Perhaps try another Pi to verify it is a general Pi issue and not a problem with that one.

chris

Your_account

Banned
How close is the dongle to the pi?
4m
I'd recommend a uab extension cord to separate the two by a good long distance.
At the Attic its not possible because the room is small and I will put everything in a small 19" Network Case.
be sure it is the Pi and not the power supply.
I tried my Asus Tablet one and its the same. The Noise dont come from the "Air" because my SDR who is attached with my Laptop and the Antenna is 1m away from the other receive 0 noise so the Signal must come from the Pi them self.
Perhaps try another Pi to verify it is a general Pi issue and not a problem with that one.
Is there an howto to get it run without an display? I have 2 Pi + SD Card but I cant connect it to the Display port. (Sorry I hate the Pi so much....)

Status
Not open for further replies.