Trouble with recieving AIS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello! I have recieved RLT-SDR v3 reciever several days ago and now I am trying to receive and decode different types of signals. Now I want to decode AIS signal from ships. And I have a problem with it: I tuned SDRSharp to AIS frequence, noticed messages on waterfall, but the program Aismon cannot decode them. It returns 100% errors(( I checked several times settings in SDRSharp, virtual audiocable, etc. - all is correct, I cannot find mistake( Also I tried to play with RF gain and volume levels - no result( Can you suggest, what am I doing wrong? Maybe the signal is too weak and I should use different antenna? I am using standard dipole kit, which I bought with a receiverais.jpg

This is an output parameter in AISMon? I tried to change it, but without result( I think that problem is with SDR# or with the force of signal...

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
It looks like you're not receiving very well... if you're receiving anything at all. How far are you from a waterway with vessels that will have AIS signals? The antennas that are supplied with / sold with the RTL-SDR units range from feeble to useless. If you're close enough to a waterway that you believe you should have signals, try the wire version of the antenna below from the RR Wiki (scroll down for the wire version). If you're not getting anything with that antenna, you may need a beam / yagi with a lot of gain to receive the vessels.
Homebrewed Off-Center Fed Dipole - The RadioReference Wiki

In our city there is a sea port, and because of it I think there are vessels with AIS too. Also I can't say that my antenna is completely useless - I was sucessfully receiving ACARS messages from planes with it.

ecps92

what port ? [update your profile with your location]

but you can also go to MarineTraffic: Global Ship Tracking Intelligence | AIS Marine Traffic and see what is already being reported [if any] for your area
to get a better idea of what might or might not be in your RX range
In our city there is a sea port, and because of it I think there are vessels with AIS too. Also I can't say that my antenna is completely useless - I was sucessfully receiving ACARS messages from planes with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.