Trouble with Scanner Feeds on Internet Radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

n2gql

Premium Subscriber
I have been attempting listen to some of the live audio feeds on my Wifi Internet Radios by copying the stream URLs into the "My Streams" folder on Reciva. This is convenient when I am not in front of a computer at my home or work.

After a stream has been playing for 1-2 minutes it abrubtly stops and reboots the radio. Very weird. Every Radio Reference stream I've tried does the same thing. Streams from other sources (like railroadradtio.net or standard radio stations streams) do not do this - they all play normally. I am using the feeds that use the URL http://relay.radioreference.com/XXXXXXXXXX.

This happens on four different internet radios, two of which are manufactured by Sangean, and the other two by Grace Digital.

Any ideas?

Thanks, and 73,

Rene'

ibagli

Some (all?) Reciva units use Realplayer to decode streams, which means that you can't listen to streams provided using ScannerCast:

If you play back a stream created by ScannerCast using any version of RealPlayer, the resulting audio will contain periodic pops, clicks, screeches, and noise. This happens whether you directly listen to a ScannerCast stream, or you listen to a stream created by ScannerCast that's being relayed through a SHOUTcast/Icecast server.

This problem occurs because RealPlayer incorrectly handles the SHOUTcast metadata interval parameter, causing it to attempt to decode the metadata as MP3 audio data. This bug was first reported to the RealPlayer developers in 2005, and applies to any SHOUTcast or Icecast stream that doesn't use the default metadata interval of 16K. Real Networks (the for-profit company that owns RealPlayer) hasn't fixed the bug in all these years, and my attempts to report this problem to the RealPlayer developers, or at least hear their side of the story, received no reply.

While ScannerCast could be changed to use the default metadata interval, that would seriously degrade tag/audio synchronization. I have no plans to change the way ScannerCast works to make it work with a third-rate, broken, media player.

If you want to test that out, try my feed (http://relay.radioreference.com:80/912563219), which still uses Oddcast and which (the last I checked) worked with my internet radio. If it works, then it's a RealPlayer issue; if it doesn't, I have no idea what the issue is.

Last edited:

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
This thread is being closed for two reasons. First, as the forum descriptions states, This forum is for feed providers to get support. Second, cross-posting is not allowed on this site. Please get acquainted with our rules be reading the threads in the forum linked in my signature.

Status
Not open for further replies.