• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

truck drivers freqs ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

billpritjr

Hello

I would imagine that GMRS and similar frequencies would be the ideal CB-radio replacement, for on the road chat and hazard reporting, etc. Has anyone found any particular frequencies our nations truck drivers are using ?

"Shout out" to them, who keep our stores stocked, goods delivered, and keep America running.

Thank you

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Hello

I would imagine that GMRS and similar frequencies would be the ideal CB-radio replacement, for on the road chat and hazard reporting, etc. Has anyone found any particular frequencies our nations truck drivers are using ?

"Shout out" to them, who keep our stores stocked, goods delivered, and keep America running.

Thank you
If they have radios, they're usually CBs. There are a scant few who have ham radios. While I s'pose there may be some, I've never heard of a trucker on FRS or GMRS.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
CB is your best shot.

GMRS doesn't lend itself well to the random contacts sort of stuff. CTCSS/DCS squelch control used by many makes random contacts kind of difficult. I used GMRS for many years before I was able to get others in the family to get their ham licenses, never once did I hear truckers on GMRS.

Truckers don't use CB that much in some areas. I've done long distance trips and maybe heard truckers a handful of times. Still, it's common to see CB antennas on most trucks. They just don't talk much.

cpfinlay

Feed Provider
I'd think smartphones have reduced the "need" for a lot of the chatter with application like Waze providing realtime road conditions and even radar traps... Not to mention another means of communicating with those they know.

I would imagine that most long haul truckers have CB radios, however.

westcoaster

Here in Western Canada Lad 1 (154.1Mhz wideband) is the preferred channel for trucks to use.
CB isn't used much here.

kb7gjy

Feed Provider
154.1Mhz in the usa is usually allocated to public safety users such as police, fire or ems

Correct. Makes me shake my head at my town. FAR north Idaho (20 miles from border), lots of trucks from Canada.

Guess the Bonners Ferry City Fire dispatch freq..... You got it, 154.100

westcoaster

Ouch, I didn't know what it was used for in the US....

154.100Licensed mobiles. British Columbia, Alberta, Yukon, Northwest Territories and Nunavut only. Excluding Greater Vancouver, Fraser Valley west of Hope, Vancouver Island south of Nanaimo, British Columbia, south of 53°30'00" latitude (i. e. south of Edmonton) and 100 km radius of Bonnyville, Alberta. (LAD-1)

Every time I look at it, they are expanding its area of use. I think that's in reaction to how many truckers simply ignore the rules and use it where ever they please...

wired3m

What about Polar Express Inc., on the show Ice Road Truckers? I thought I saw 160 MHz on a display on one of the radios? So just one freq for all of Canada, other than CB?

westcoaster

Seems to me Polar Express is based out of Manitoba...?

Here is the complete listing of the common "open" frequencies. While several companies license them, no one company owns them nor controls them.

The use of marine, amateur or user programmable radio equipment is not permitted.
Wide Area Frequencies for General Mobile–to–Mobile Operations

TX Frequency (MHz)RX Frequency (MHz)Frequency Conditions
153.050153.050Licensed mobiles. Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Northwest Territories and Nunavut only. Excluding a 90 km radius of Strathmore, Alberta.
154.100154.100Licensed mobiles. British Columbia, Alberta, Yukon, Northwest Territories and Nunavut only. Excluding Greater Vancouver, Fraser Valley west of Hope, Vancouver Island south of Nanaimo, British Columbia, south of 53°30'00" latitude (i. e. south of Edmonton) and 100 km radius of Bonnyville, Alberta. (LAD-1)
154.325154.325Licensed mobiles. British Columbia, Yukon, Northwest Territories and Nunavut only. Excluding Greater Vancouver, Fraser Valley west of Hope and Vancouver Island south of Nanaimo, British Columbia (LAD-3)
158.940158.940Licensed mobiles. British Columbia, Yukon, Northwest Territories and Nunavut only. (LAD-2)
162.210162.210Licensed mobiles, Alberta, Northwest Territories and Nunavut only. Excluding a 50 km radius of Crossfield, Alberta.
163.050163.050Licensed mobiles. Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba only. Excluding north of 53°00'00" latitude and east of 104°00'00" longitude in Saskatchewan.
165.480165.480Licensed mobiles. Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba only.
166.620166.620Licensed mobiles. Alberta and Saskatchewan only. Excluding south of 50°00'00" latitude, a 50 km radius of Calgary, Alberta, a 50 km radius of Magrath, Alberta, a 110 km radius of Wiseton, Saskatchewan and a 110 km radius of Fillmore, Saskatchewan.
168.120168.120Licensed mobiles. Alberta only. Excluding a 50 km radius of Lake Louise, Alberta.
173.370173.370Licensed mobiles. British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Yukon, Northwest Territories and Nunavut only. Excluding a 50 km radius of Saskatoon, Saskatchewan and a 50 km radius of Margo, Saskatchewan. (LAD-4)

westcoaster

You'll notice those frequencies are for Western Canada. I'm not sure what Eastern Canada uses...

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
to be honest we only really use CB and with the advent of Smartphones and all the bad language, arguments, etc we rarely even use that anymore, 27.185Mhz AM is Channel 19 also known as Sesame Street that's the main frequency used, however, sometimes Shippers/Receivers will use another CB channel (out of the 40) to communicate with drivers for dock doors and such.

Back in the day, we used CB for everything, to warn us when scales (Chicken Coops) were open, where Bears (Cops) were, and to keep us awake having a chat, but now we have the internet and apps that tell us all that

example of an app we used showing the scale status
Photo Jul 09, 2 01 41 PM.png

Last edited:

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
You'll notice those frequencies are for Western Canada. I'm not sure what Eastern Canada uses...
In a lot of cases they use the same channels. Wasn't uncommon to hear trucks on 154.1 passing through town despite it belonging to the local fire department.

Status
Not open for further replies.