truncking for pg county

Status
Not open for further replies.

ALLENL022

Does anybody have the updated frequencies for pg police and fire.( trunking)

Last edited:

ALLENL022

I have all of that info. But i was told that pg police and fire was also running a trunk system. I figured this would be the best place to check. Thanks

ctrabs74

troymail said:
Reported to be getting one - but not yet.

From the RR.com Prince George's County page, re: PGPD:

"This is a first phase of transitioning the Prince George's County Police to a UHF-T band TRS, currently of unknown operating type (P-25 and Motorola SmartZone are being discussed)."

http://www.radioreference.com/modules.php?name=RR&ctid=1204

There appears to be no set timetable for this transition, but it appears that PGPD is migrating to a TRS in the near future; there's nothing mentioned about county fire/EMS.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I think the expectation - or at least the assumption - was that they would copy what DC did - they are, after all neighbors - and use their current 490 mhz assignments for PD, and combine the 2 tiny EDACS trunks into one for fire. However, as I understand it, funding from the Feds (due to Homeland Security) got cut, so it pretty much scuttled the plan - at least for now.

For PG resident's sake, I hope I'm proven wrong. 73s Mike

ctrabs74

ka3jjz said:
I think the expectation - or at least the assumption - was that they would copy what DC did - they are, after all neighbors - and use their current 490 mhz assignments for PD, and combine the 2 tiny EDACS trunks into one for fire. However, as I understand it, funding from the Feds (due to Homeland Security) got cut, so it pretty much scuttled the plan - at least for now.

I'm surprised that Prince George's got their funding cut considering not only the proximity to DC, but because that county's home to quite a few federal facilities (including one of the major AFBs in Metro DC - I think it's Andrews, right?). What exactly does PG use the EDACS systems for anyway, because it seems like a total waste of radio systems...

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Yes, Andrews lies within the PG county borders, and it was a surprise to me, too, when I heard about it. As to the 2 EDACS systems, the southern system hasn't really been documented AFAIK, but the Northern system is used for other PD related functions - and if you look at the database entry, you'll understand why I won't go any further than that. 73s Mike

troymail

Silent Key
I've heard two things - one - PG is cheap (and/or smart) and they are waiting until someone in the federal government steps in with $$$ to pay for it so PG county doesn't have to foot the bill itself and two - planning is underway for a system so perhaps someone is either about to pay or wants to know what it will really cost -- of course, the county will want all of the bells and whistles factored into the cost so when it gets scaled back, they'll still have a functional system.

WA3CSX

Premium Subscriber
From my understanding the system should be up and running sometime in 2008.And yes the county is CHEAP!!!!! Trust me.

Dewey

As a side note... is it possible that the funding cut IF true was due to the earlier reports that the Feds were cutting funds to those who didn't go to plain english (interoperability), and the fact that PG heavily uses 10-codes and signal codes?

Dewey

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
That was rescinded months ago, as I recall. It caused quite a furor. It would be interesting to know the reason for the cutback, though. 73s Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.