Trunk Lip: Larsen, Laird, or Maxrad

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZGX

Will be transferring my scanner to my newly issued company car. Have decided on a Larsen 800 ¼ wave on the trunk lid. By policy, cannot drill any holes. Skipping a magnetic mount to eliminate scratches on the paint. Conclusion, a trunk lip mount centered on the trunk.

Reviewing the Larsen, Laird, and Maxrad models. Was leaning toward Laird due to price and appears more low profile. Looking at Larsen due to the dual shielded coax. Maxrad, well just keeping my options open. Do any of these stand above the others or will I get the same performance out of each?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
You'll probably get the same performance out of any of them. Maybe a slight nod to the dual shied coax, but unlikely you'll be able to hear a difference.

As for a trunk lip mount, don't place any bets on it not leaving a mark. For them to work well, you need a connection to the ground plane. That is done by cranking down the set screws under the trunk lip. That will leave a mark. On the other side, it's usually a rubber coated bumper that holds it down on the outside, but just like a mag mount, they'll leave marks.

If you really want a no drill, no mark install, look at a glass mount antenna. Just be careful when you go to remove it. Actually, a glass mount on the front windshield might reduce your coaxial cable run enough to actually result in improved performance.

Other option, depending on the model of vehicle, would be to use the NMO brackets that utilize existing body bolts under the hood.

ZGX

You'll probably get the same performance out of any of them. Maybe a slight nod to the dual shied coax, but unlikely you'll be able to hear a difference.

As for a trunk lip mount, don't place any bets on it not leaving a mark. For them to work well, you need a connection to the ground plane. That is done by cranking down the set screws under the trunk lip. That will leave a mark. On the other side, it's usually a rubber coated bumper that holds it down on the outside, but just like a mag mount, they'll leave marks.

If you really want a no drill, no mark install, look at a glass mount antenna. Just be careful when you go to remove it. Actually, a glass mount on the front windshield might reduce your coaxial cable run enough to actually result in improved performance.

Other option, depending on the model of vehicle, would be to use the NMO brackets that utilize existing body bolts under the hood.

Thank you. I'm not too concerned with the set screws, just no marks or holes NMO sized. The set screw marks the garage won't even notice in ten years when I trade it in for the next new ride. Thanks though, probably go with the Laird since it's cheapest, and the mount itself seems just a lil smaller in size.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Yeah, even if you are concerned about it, a small bottle of touch up paint from the auto parts store would take care of it. Usually by the time those leases are turned in, no one really cares about the little stuff. Most of our work trucks are nearing 10 years old and are pretty beat up, no one seems to care.

Any of those name brands should work just fine. If you found one thats a bit cheaper, than that's likely a good deal.

PACNWDude

Laird is what we use on leased vehicles.

Where I work we have a few dozen full size pickup trucks that have lip mount antennas on their hoods. We place them up near the windshield and use Laird VHF and UHF 1/4 whips. They work well and don't get damaged much. The black ones look better for a little while until the finish flakes off, so we just get the cheap silver ones from Tessco.

These work well with 45-50 watt radios and rarely do we have an issue with lack of range, antenna damage or noise through the electrical system. Usually we are running Vertex VX3200/4200's or Motorola CDM-1250's.

The "trunk" lip mounts only leave small marks where the set screws tighten to the metal, I have yet to have anyone even notice these when the vehicles get traded in. We are on a 5 year cycle for vehicles, and it would be obvious if they were really marked up.

ZGX

Thanks. Went with the Laird to mount my Larsen 1/4 wave 800 as it was smaller in size and cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.