Trunk programming help. Please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

radiojoe13

I've posted in another thread (http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40108&page=2) for some help, and I've heard from some very helpful people. Unfortunately, I just can't get my BCT-8 programmed right.

I'm just not getting the last detail. I can follow all the steps up to gettig SPC and OFS in there, but after that I can't figure out where to put the local frequencies. (after getting SPC and OFS there seems to be no other way to get in frequencies in the trunk section).

What am I doing wrong? Please bear with this oldtimer who is a newbie to the modern systems.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Let me see if I can help you here. I recently sold my BCT-8 so I unfortunately don't have it handy, but I do have a copy of the owners manual.

Ok.....you mentioned channel 51 in the previous thread, so that would be bank 2. According to the manual:

1. Press TRUNK for 1.5 seconds.
You will hear two beeps, and “BANK” and “TRUNK” will begin to flash on the display.

2. Select the bank you want to store the frequency by using the keypad.

So at this point you would hit 2.

3. Select the system you want to track by using the Up Arrow or Down Arrow, then press E.

You want to select: E2-Hi (Motorola Type II VHF 136-174 MHz)

Now for programming the frequencies.

STEP 2: Programming Trunking Frequencies
1. Select ProgF and press E. Use the keypad and (decimal key) to enter a frequency for the trunked system.

So you would enter 141.1950 to start.

2. Then press E. The “E” (EDACS), “M” (Motorola) or “L” (LTR) appears depending on the trunked system selected.

Now press the Up Arrow or Down Arrow button to select the next channel in the bank (in your case 52).

Enter the next frequency from the list (142.0650) and press Enter. You should see an M beside this frequency too. Repeat this to enter all 5 frequencies.

When you are done, try hitting Search to exit out of the menu and hopefully go into Trunk Search mode. Now we need to enter the Base, Space and Offset needed for VHF Trunking.

To enter the Base, Spacing Frequencies and Offset Channel: (You can set up to three sets of these, but almost all systems only use one set)

1. Press and hold TRUNK for 1.5 seconds and select the bank you want to change.

So again, select #2. The use the Up or Down Arrow button to select E2-Hi and press E.

Use the Up/Down Arrows to select 'BASE' and press E.

Now the manual says: Use the keypad to enter Configuration Block Number(1-3).

You will want to press 1.

It should ask you for the Base Frequency, so enter 141.015 then hit E.

Press the Up Arrow key to select SPC, then hit E so we can enter the Spacing info..

Enter 15, then press E.

Noe press the Up Arrow again to highlight OFS so we can enter the Offset. Hit E to select OFS then enter 380, then hit E.

That should do it! It seems like a lot of work, but it's not too bad once you get the hang of it. After you enter the Offset, try hitting Search again to start trunking. Make sure bank 2 is selected. You might also need to hit the PRV button to put it into 'Private' mode, so it's not trying to scan the Pre-Programmed banks setup for the US States.

Give this a try and let us know how you make out. You may also want to look into the Arc-8 software from Butel (www.butel.nl). Makes programming things very easy.

Good luck!

radiojoe13

Getting closer! Thanks for the help, and I'm sure I am just a step away now. Here's what is going wrong:

The five frequencies end up being scanned as conventional ones (though they do have the M marking), with noise and all. So I end up having to lock them out.

The base frequency is in there, with a big P and all, but whenever there is a transmission, I get about one second of it before it resumes scanning. It will return to it for one second at a time until the end of that conversation, but something isn't quite clicking (which is probably me).

I also have it locked out and on delay, neither of which have an effect on it, so I assume I am getting close.

(The software would be a great help, but I am not a Windows person, so that's not an option right now tho I may have to get someone to help)

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.