Trunk system questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Apologies if these are already in the forums - the search function appears broken at the moment.

1. I know that the "County" field is not new in trunk sites' data, but is new in the display to the web user. Having said that, if a site is in a county, will the county page in the DB list that trunk system, or will the trunk system explicitly have to have that county included in the main trunk system definitions? If the latter, can someone explain why it's being done that way?

2. "Areawide Trunk Systems" on the main page of a state/province don't turn green (or yellow) when a system is updated. One example I can find currently is in Indiana (SAFE-T is updated but the link on the state page is white). Is that intentional?

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
I'll try:
  1. The included counties are (to the best of my knowledge) taken from the system general attributes data and not from the site data. This actually makes sense when you remember that the intent of the DB is to show intended coverage or intended service area. It is usually the same but not always. For illustration purposes let's take a single conventional frequency pair entry. Say you have a county that sits in a geographical bowl with some handy mountains around it, but the mountains are in different counties. It is only sensible that you would put the PS repeaters on one (or more) of the surrounding mountains. Those repeaters, although actually located in a different county, would be listed on the intended service area county's page. Same with a TRS site, there exists the possibility that a site could be located in an area not intended to be serviced by site because of geographical considerations; hence, why the intended target counties for a TRS system are those counties enumerated in the general system area.
  2. You are correct, it would appear that on the state page such systems are not highlighted when changed but do appear highlighted on the county level pages. I am trying to remember if I can recall this ever being discussed in the past and cannot. I also tried a search through Mantis and could not find this specific issue addressed. I'll bring it up and see what comes of it.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
That was about what I figured would be the answer for #1, thanks. Just means in the near future I'll have to be diligent about tracking what counties some new systems are covering.

Status
Not open for further replies.