Trunk system scanning Knoxville Tennessee

Status
Not open for further replies.

obeone

Premium Subscriber
Was having trouble scanning the Motorola Type II Smartnet in Knoxville Tn,i was told that the new scanner SDS100 would pick it up due to the simulcast system they have.
When received my SDS100 and program it with all the Knoxville area Frqs via Sentiel it still doesn't pick up any police channels,will pickup the KAT system but that is all in the Knoville-Knox Co Public Safety.What am i doing wrong can someone help.

W4ELL

Feed Provider
Unfortunately, all of the good stuff is now over on TACN and is encrypted full-time in Knox county. KFD is also on TACN but is mostly unencrypted.

If you want to hear KFD, you'll have to program this system (Site 3-10 if you want to narrow it down):
Tennessee Advanced Communications Network (TACN)

Otherwise, the old system is pretty dormant except for a few city services.

K9JLR

Was having trouble scanning the Motorola Type II Smartnet in Knoxville Tn,i was told that the new scanner SDS100 would pick it up due to the simulcast system they have.
When received my SDS100 and program it with all the Knoxville area Frqs via Sentiel it still doesn't pick up any police channels,will pickup the KAT system but that is all in the Knoville-Knox Co Public Safety.What am i doing wrong can someone help.

The SDS 100 does monitor the Smartnet Type II system, and it worked fine last summer when I was there. However, on my last trip back a few months ago, as you'll note in the database with the "DE" labels for the public safety frequencies, they switched to a new system and the LE comms are encrypted. You won't hear much of anything on the Type II Smartnet public safety TGs anymore.

zachgallop

KFD is still simulcasting Dispatch on the Motorola Type II. Everything else public safety wise besides TN DISTRICT II Mutual Aid Net has changed over to TACN and they will start using 8CALL90 after it shuts down. KAT, CAC, and unknown if county highway is still on the old Motorola Type II system. UTPD changed right before Christmas to the new system. There is some talkgroups to listen too. KFD and Karns Fire are usually very active. During games or special events you can hear AMR and KFD on the new system.UTPD and Schools were not originally supposed to encrypt for the most part but things changed at least for schools at the last minute this summer. School Division is unencrypted on Ops1-5 which is used for events and stuff but their dispatch is encrypted and emergency traffic now. Nothing really interesting goes out over school dispatch it just mostly "547 to Dispatch conducting a fire drill at my location" or "510Alpha I have a 47 enroute for a student."With the occasional bus wreck or doing a home visit.Think I was told KCSO has a few unencrypted talk groups like special events. UTPD and KPD is fully encrypted every channel as far as I have seen.Events is simulcasted over the Brick 1 just put in the database sometimes you will hear UTPD units instead of CSO's. KPD is primarily phase I and the rest are mainly Phase II. TEMA and THP also now carry over the simulcast site. TDOT is not on the layer yet but I am sure they will probably add the site in the radios soon. To listen to Knox you need listen to the Simulcast one and not the black road & sharps ridge, most radios are locked to those sites on the talk group except Karns they carry on to windrock at times. The control channel is 859.9375. I just programmed it as a separate system from TACN now. All I have in mine is the control frequency to receive simulcast should work fine. The system frequencies are still split right now between the old and new. Spangler told an individual during a meeting that there would be a feed between 10 to 45 min, he thinks an hour is too long but I think I heard he changed his mind. The encryption was done by the former Sheriff and Chief. If you would like I really honestly think Sheriff Spangler will truly take things into consideration if you email or call him. As far as KPD I would not get hopes of ever coming back. Really I am unsure on schools and UTPD but it is worth a shot. For other Type II systems, C&S has Pete micheals on it and other news stations. The Knox county schools backup system has been down a few months it is still in school division new radios.

Last edited:

jblackst

Feed Provider
TL;DR
There isn't much of anyone left on the old Motorola system. In the very near future, it will be shut down (surely) once everyone else moves to TACN.

obeone

Premium Subscriber
KFD is still simulcasting Dispatch on the Motorola Type II. Everything else public safety wise besides TN DISTRICT II Mutual Aid Net has changed over to TACN and they will start using 8CALL90 after it shuts down. KAT, CAC, and unknown if county highway is still on the old Motorola Type II system. UTPD changed right before Christmas to the new system. There is some talkgroups to listen too. KFD and Karns Fire are usually very active. During games or special events you can hear AMR and KFD on the new system.UTPD and Schools were not originally supposed to encrypt for the most part but things changed at least for schools at the last minute this summer. School Division is unencrypted on Ops1-5 which is used for events and stuff but their dispatch is encrypted and emergency traffic now. Nothing really interesting goes out over school dispatch it just mostly "547 to Dispatch conducting a fire drill at my location" or "510Alpha I have a 47 enroute for a student."With the occasional bus wreck or doing a home visit.Think I was told KCSO has a few unencrypted talk groups like special events. UTPD and KPD is fully encrypted every channel as far as I have seen.Events is simulcasted over the Brick 1 just put in the database sometimes you will hear UTPD units instead of CSO's. KPD is primarily phase I and the rest are mainly Phase II. TEMA and THP also now carry over the simulcast site. TDOT is not on the layer yet but I am sure they will probably add the site in the radios soon. To listen to Knox you need listen to the Simulcast one and not the black road & sharps ridge, most radios are locked to those sites on the talk group except Karns they carry on to windrock at times. The control channel is 859.9375. I just programmed it as a separate system from TACN now. All I have in mine is the control frequency to receive simulcast should work fine. The system frequencies are still split right now between the old and new. Spangler told an individual during a meeting that there would be a feed between 10 to 45 min, he thinks an hour is too long but I think I heard he changed his mind. The encryption was done by the former Sheriff and Chief. If you would like I really honestly think Sheriff Spangler will truly take things into consideration if you email or call him. As far as KPD I would not get hopes of ever coming back. Really I am unsure on schools and UTPD but it is worth a shot. For other Type II systems, C&S has Pete micheals on it and other news stations. The Knox county schools backup system has been down a few months it is still in school division new radios.

Thank you for your information what type of scanner do you use,i bought the new SDS100,but sent it back when i could not pick up Knoxville Police,using Home patrol 2 now live in Maryville really miss KPD traffic

Status
Not open for further replies.