Trunk trackin' 3-2-1.........

Status
Not open for further replies.

KIKINWING

Premium Subscriber
Okay now; Poppin my cherry here...... First post; What is the difference between Trunk Tracker 1,2 and 3? Is it the first is Motorola, second EDACS and third LTR systems? So if this is accurate then one only need find the prevelant system in the area and if it is say Motorola, the supposed first then you would only really need Trunk Tracker 1, correct?
In other words Trunk Tracker # is just the name used when other manufactures came on to the sene and added there systems/wares and the scanner manufactures just kept up with there progress?

Thanks,
I need a cigarette!!

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I have not heard the terms you used (Trunk Tracker #1, ...). The terms I came in to contact with are "Dual Trunking" and "Triple Trunking". The Dual Trunking scanner handles EDACS and Motorola, the Triple Trunking scanners also handle LTR.

Can you provide where you are seeing these terms? I do think you're on the right track though.

rmiller818

Probably from the Uniden scanners.

Pretty much the newer trunking scanners are triple trunking or trunk tracker 3. The digital ones have trunk tracker 4 on them (4th being the digital systems)

KIKINWING

Premium Subscriber
Sorry; Thats why I am on the "Green post" 1,2 or three Single, dual or triple.... You say Potata I say Tomata (lol) But in essence it seems the same thing Single, dual, triple are all the manifestations of new manufactures putting trunking systems on line? Is that correct? Not necessarily but for discussion, Motorola being first was "Trunking" then EDACS was "dual because it handled both Motorola and EDACS, etc...etc... So again one only need research the predominant system in there respective area and figure out which scanner to buy and possibly save a buck?

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
So again one only need research the predominant system in there respective area and figure out which scanner to buy and possibly save a buck?
You are not going to save a buck here unless there is nothing you will ever want to monitor that is trunked.

Go about it this way. What do you want to hear - police, fire, air traffic control, railroads, federal government, EMS calls, amateur radio, ????? Then go to the database here and see what kind of "system" those channels use. If it is analog and not trunked, the only thing you'll need to be concerned with is a scanner that can tune to the frequency. If trunked, read more.......

If the channels (conventional frequencies or trunked talkgroups) are analog, great. You might get by with an older used scanner, but there is more to be concerned with. For example, there is a process taking place to "reband" 800 MHz channels. If the system you want to monitor is Motorola, it would be most wise to get a newer scanner that can handle it. If the system is EDACS or LTR, then certainly you would be able to use a less-capable scanner.

There are other types of trunked systems that the current scanners do not support at all.

If what you want to hear is digital and encrypted, you are out of luck. If it is digital and what we call "in the clear", then you'll need a digital scanner. I am fairly sure all the modern digital scanners can handle Motorola, EDACS and LTR; so that would be a moot point.

I hope this sheds some light on the info you are seeking.

KIKINWING

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for responding but I dont think you understand the question; It is very general in nature. What exactly is or was the genesis of the term trunk tracker that then morphed to dual trunking then triple trunking, etc.... WAS IT THE MANUFACTURED SYSTEMS? Of which there are now three (Motorola,EDACS and LTR), hence "TRIPLE TRUNKING"...... Or is it something else? Just a history question; Nothing more......

JoeyC

Your question has already been answered. Too many cigarettes?
"Trunk tracker" came about when the first trunking scanner came out, Motorola only. The next generation tracked EDACS systems, hense Trunktracker II. When scanner manufacturers added LTR trunking, they called it triple trunking. When a scanner was developed that could handle the P25 9600bps control channels system, the Trunktracker IV was born.

KIKINWING

Premium Subscriber
"Your question has already been answered. Too many cigarettes?"
Really Joey C? Show me where? I re-read the posts and they did not answer. You did, if you are correct. Time will tell. Maybe I should have a shot with my smoke......

Status
Not open for further replies.