Trunk88 OSW Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner71

Ok, I have been using Trunk88 for quite some time now and am a little confused on the OSW. When I look at the stream I see three numbers or letters then a "+" then either a G or an I then a "+" again then four more letters or numbers. My question is this, what do the G and I stand for? Am I missing things?

One more quick question and I am sure that I am just having a brain fart but on the bottom right corner I see Ins. What does that mean? I know it is probably very simple but I am drawing a blank.

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
One more quick question and I am sure that I am just having a brain fart but on the bottom right corner I see Ins. What does that mean? I know it is probably very simple but I am drawing a blank.
Indicates what state your Insert key is toggled to. "Num"lock status is to the left of it and Caps next to the spinner

slicerwizard

When I look at the stream I see three numbers or letters then a "+" then either a G or an I then a "+" again then four more letters or numbers. My question is this, what do the G and I stand for? Am I missing things?
The datastream display just shows the decoded outbound signaling words in real time. Its main purpose is to give you a clear indication of your signal quality - white text indicates perfect decodes (no bit errors), while yellow or bright white text indicates that there were soft errors (bad bits that were corrected)

You can observe the datastream while aligning your RX antenna and find the sweet spot.

Each OSW is composed of a 10 bit command code, a 1 bit group/individual flag and a 16 bit ID code. The I's and G's you see are just the 1 bit flag. You're not expected to manually decode the stream. :)

BTW, the most common command codes you're likely to see are 3C0 (system status) and 3BF (network status) as they are broadcast hundreds of times every minute.

BORG

The datastream display just shows the decoded outbound signaling words in real time. Its main purpose is to give you a clear indication of your signal quality - white text indicates perfect decodes (no bit errors), while yellow or bright white text indicates that there were soft errors (bad bits that were corrected)

You can observe the datastream while aligning your RX antenna and find the sweet spot.

Each OSW is composed of a 10 bit command code, a 1 bit group/individual flag and a 16 bit ID code. The I's and G's you see are just the 1 bit flag. You're not expected to manually decode the stream. :)

BTW, the most common command codes you're likely to see are 3C0 (system status) and 3BF (network status) as they are broadcast hundreds of times every minute.

Is there a printed list of what all the command codes are? If so is there a link to that info?

Thanks

Northerner71

Thanx

Thanx for the replies. That is what I was after, the I and G's. So if I see I's flowing through I am not missing anything? I thought that I was not hearing individual talk.

slicerwizard

Is there a printed list of what all the command codes are? If so is there a link to that info?
I've never seen any public info other than what's in the Trunker source code.

Thanx for the replies. That is what I was after, the I and G's. So if I see I's flowing through I am not missing anything? I thought that I was not hearing individual talk.
You'll see the 'I' on some system messages that are completely unrelated to radio IDs or talkgroups, so nothing to worry about there.

If you see consecutive OSWs with the 'I's, you're probably seeing an affiliation:

[309 I 0496] Affiliation: RID=0496; TG=101
[310 I 101A]

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
Considering how time consuming it would be to write documentation that provided all the OSW's and how they work I can understand why there isn't. I certainly don't have that time myself.

What complicates the issue is how the OSW's are assembled to complete an event, and then the breakdown of the OSW structure based on how it's used. EDACS and P25 Trunking are other examples of just too much data to document. LTR, et al., are much more simple and can be found. Though PassPort's info is lacking.

Status
Not open for further replies.